planting out leeks

• 14 Replies

South Downs Wayer

planting out leeks
« on: June 07, 2009, 03:05 »
Is now a good time to plant out leeks or have I left it a bit late? Also if you top and tail before planting out, by how much?
Cheers All
Roy
Roy

Trillium

Re: planting out leeks
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 03:24 »
You can still plant out leeks. They won't be the huge things you see at the shops, but they'll be a nice tender size by fall. The French gardeners plant them at regular 2 week intervals all spring and summer.
I personally don't top or tail mine before planting but some do. If you wish to do so, leave about 2 inches of root.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 06:54 »
Actually I've not planted mine out yet and it may be a couple of weeks before I do. I always get decent sized leeks.

I always top & tail. Maybe that's just the way I was taught! We've had this discussion before so may be it's best not to go there, it's was suprising how passionate some folk could get just over the matter of taking scissors to leeks!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

SG6

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 08:20 »
I planted mine out 4-5 weeks ago.
Last year I waited for them to get to a decent size, as in 6ins, and they just stopped at about 4. I waited and waited. I eventually planted then out and they got to about 6 ins then stopped again. By Oct I simplt pulled them and thew away.

The previous year to that they were fine. So this year I decided that they were going in early. So far they have all survived and have started to put on some additional size. Just have to wait as see what they are like in 4 months time.

farmersue

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 09:27 »
I planted mine out about this time of year last year and they were brilliant - grew to a very respectable size.
However, this year my seedlings are growing rather large in their tray and are begging to be planted out, but i was going to put them where the early spuds are, and the spuds aren't ready to come out yet. I don't have enough room anywhere else to put the leeks. Should i leave them in their tray and hope the spuds will have a sudden growth spurt (which is possible considering the amount of rain that fell last night!) enabling me to put them in their proper place in a few weeks, or can i put them somewhere as a temporary measure? Would they mind being transplanted twice?  :unsure:

Bozwell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 09:49 »
Planted mine on 2 weeks ago. Trim the roots by half and the leaves by a third which will make for more vigorous plants. You are still ok to plant them on. Idealy you want them to be as thick as a pencil and at least 9-10 inches tall before you transplant and keep well watered. :)
Can you hear voices?

shaun

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 09:51 »
plenty of time yet not done mine yet because the spuds are in the way
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

PAH48

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 10:27 »
Plant mine as each row of spuds are lifted, done the same for  the last 2years,
still had plenty well into into march of this year, maybe april, they certainly lasted.. ;)

South Downs Wayer

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 23:13 »
Thats a relief, thanks for that. 

Shaun do you ever go on cyclechat

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 11:16 »
Oh dear, planning to plant out my leeks today, I read this thread and am now not sure what to do.  I sowed a 40 cell tray on 18 February, half Oarsman and half Lyon Prizetaker and they have been sitting in the cold frame for months, growing very slowly but are by no means pencil thick and about 7 inches tall.  Perhaps the cells were too small? 

I suppose I will plant them out anyway and hope for the best - am I likely to get a crop worth having?  I don't mind if they are baby leeks but I was hoping for some leek and potato soup this winter without having to pay Waitrose's outrageous prices  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 11:17 »
ooh baby leeks with a nice sauce poured over them - yum  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

Zippy

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 11:22 »
Early June and my Leeks are still only the width of a toothpick. This happened last year as well, though they did thicken up in the permanent bed and were harvested late (Nov/Dec).

I start them in 3" pots and pot on to tall pots when bigger. Where am I going wrong?

Woud I be better to start them in a seed bed direct?

RichardA

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 11:23 »
Put out about 150 leeks yesterday, rest will go in as and when potatoes come out and ground comes free over next month or so. Used to top and tail, dont bother now.
R

CanaryNige

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 08:07 »
Sorry, I know this is a bit basic, but I'm about to plant out potted leeks for the first time, and use the pile of toilet roll tubes I have. But....I'm not sure how to best position the tubes! Can you help me please? Thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 12:09 »
Last year i dibbed out leeks as normal, then in the autumn when the leeks were strong i slit the loo rolls in half lengthways and fitted them loosely around the leek stems. I tied them with some soft string.

I think it did give me longer shanks than i would have got without the rolls

xx
Planting leeks

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 14:53
by diggerjoe
xx
Planting leeks.

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2019, 13:11
by Goosegirl
xx
planting leeks

Started by gowing238 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 23, 2010, 11:18
by gowing238
xx
Planting out leeks

Started by Allotment Jon on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 21:22
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 37 queries.