Stringy sugarsnap peas

• 4 Replies

wolveryeti

Stringy sugarsnap peas
« on: July 10, 2021, 23:11 »
I have grown sugarsnap peas this season (Sugar Bon) and I must say I am disappointed- stringy peas that did not taste much better than eating the pod of a regular pea.

I did not treat with huge TLC - but used a raised bed with some new compost and netted to keep the pigeons off.

Could it be a duff batch or some error in growing them? Or should I check out some other strains (recommendations welcome!)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Stringy sugarsnap peas
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 08:27 »
I grow mangetout rather than sugar snap, but stringiness is usually a sign I have left it too long to harvest them.  I get the odd one where the pod was buried in the foliage and I missed it.

Other factors could be lack of water or slow growth, which can make any veg woody, stringy or bitter.  The weather might also be a factor this year as it has flip flopped around and caused problems for a lot of crops.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 12:48 »
Harvesting too late (even by one day) will do it. Also, if weather has turned hot, you will get more stringy snap peas.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Bigsparrow

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 20:34 »
My sugar snap peas this year are very very poor ,Sugar Ann on the packet.  Some are really thin walled, and cannot be cut easily with a knife,  some ok, some were mangetout.  Most cannot be eaten raw and need cooking. This is bad seed, and not the named variety. I have grown sugar snap peas for years and they are always so easy and reliable. Supplier has agreed to send another packet, which I will probably use for pea shoots in the winter as they might have the same problem.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 23:15 »
Here, I've not had a very good yield, but what I did get were just like Sugar Anne should be - fat walled and juicy. That said I always do pull off the stalk and the string that comes with it.

xx
sugarsnap peas

Started by jasah on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 26, 2009, 16:57
by pushrod
xx
Sugarsnap/mangetout peas

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 09:58
by viettaclark
xx
sugarsnap peas support

Started by NorfolkVeg on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 20:54
by DD.
xx
Pea (Sugarsnap) Sugar Ann

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 12, 2009, 11:26
by MoreWhisky

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 45 queries.