Blueberries - how to make soil acidic

• 4 Replies

ambodach

Blueberries - how to make soil acidic
« on: April 08, 2021, 18:31 »
I'm not having much success with the Search facility for this so I may well be asking a question well answered before.

My soil is essentially neutral, but I have 3 blueberry plants coming and and would appreciate guidance on how to make the soil acidic enough for them.  I realise that for this year they may well be better in large pots with suitable compost, but but I would like to get part of my fruit cage suitable for them in the long term.

Many thanks for any help
Rob

Lardman

Re: Blueberries - how to make soil acidic
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 19:44 »
Top dress with sulphur or sulphur chips, but it's really only a temporary measure. You could also consider making planting holes with ericaceous compost.

Growing Weather

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 20:17 »
Teabags and lots of them or what used to be called Sequestrian

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-5-sachets-sequestered-iron-plant-tonic/p/0330932

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 12:41 »
Do you have access to woods with a lot of pine needles, or fallen leaves, especially oak leaves?  You can mix a lot of that into the soil.

Here, needles from long-leaved pine trees are gathered and sold as pine straw (a weed- suppressing mulch). If pine straw is available to you, it's a great acidic additive to your soil.  To keep the soil acidic, use pine needles as a mulch too.

Bark-based soil additives, or bark-based "top soil", will also make your soil acidic.

Other than that, the previous recommendations are good.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 05:46 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

ambodach

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 20:15 »
Thanks very much, guys.  I was trying to remember if pine 'compost had a name - apparantly in the US and Scoltand it is 'duff'; as 'dough', as in bread, did at one stage be 'duff' in northern UK parts I can only assume that rotted down pine needles must be somewhat 'dough' like!!

I'll see what I can find in my locale of central Scotland - I would rather go natural but if I can get sulphut chips I am assuming that the usage rate will be given.  I need to double check if my pH meter functions too.
Rob

xx
What to add to make the soil acidic?

Started by Steve.B on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 02, 2014, 20:49
by syks grower
xx
How do i make my soil more acidic

Started by dionne on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 05, 2007, 13:10
by Trillium
xx
acidic soil

Started by 44hexx on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 22:11
by Babstreefern
xx
My Acidic Soil

Started by Markw on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 09, 2015, 17:39
by Markw

Page created in 0.461 seconds with 44 queries.