What to add to make the soil acidic?

• 10 Replies

Steve.B

• Experienced Member
What to add to make the soil acidic?
« on: February 01, 2014, 13:49 »
Hi All, got a bed for the spuds the soil Ph is high 7.5 plus. Want to reduce this and read that Ammonium Sulphate will do this but will add lots of Nitrogen. Apart from putting lots of well rotten horse manure on the bed is there another way? I have a compost bin full of 2 year old horse manure waiting to go in when this rain stops....IF.
Just wondering if anyone has any other ways to drop the Ph?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: What to add to make the soil acidic?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 16:54 »
7.5 is quite high for spuds - did you use a chemical test kit or a probe? (cheap probes have been found to be pretty unreliable for many on these forums.)

Rotted horse manure won't reduce the pH although it will improve the overall condition of the soil.

Lowering pH is much harder than raising it - moss peat or uncomposted pine needles will help, as will sulphur chips, although the latter will take much longer to have any effect. Ammonium sulphate will work quicker, although as you say you don't want to give your spuds too much nitrogen, even though they are hungry plants overall.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 16:57 »
Pine needles are excellent acidifiers. Over here I can use plain sulphur powder to also lower pH levels. Some folk have even found a water-vinegar solution works.

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 20:28 »
I was thinking about the same issue. I have not checked the ph lelvel before, but this year thought I would and it is between 7 and 7.5.
I have always grown new potatoes along side all my other veg in this bed and everything generally grows really well. The spuds, although always producing never give an abudant crop (hence the check). If I increase the acidity in the area that intend to plant the spuds will this leach over and affect the soil around in the rest of the bed, as I think the 7 to 7.5 is probably ideal for everything else (peas, beans, parsnips etc)?

Steve.B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 22:39 »
Jay G, yes chemical test kit.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 08:59 »
Soil pH for growing spuds isn't something which has been discussed much here, so it's a reasonable assumption that most people never even think about it unless it turns out their spuds are all scabby so they have to investigate and try to do something about it......

As far as lowering the pH of one bed affecting an adjacent one, I don't think that's an issue, and when it comes to rotating crops you will probably find that the lime content of your soil will have undone most if not all of your pH-lowering work by the following year anyway.  ;)

Totty

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 10:49 »
I would get hold of a bale of spaghnum moss peat and line a trench with it.
The top exhibition growers all use a mix based on moss peat so you can be sure the taytos will thrive.

Totty

diospyros

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 10:58 »
As an alternative to mined sphagnum peat which destroys precious wildlife habitats, you can buy peat which has been reclaimed from the filters of reservoirs.  I believe there are also products based on composted bracken which have a suitably low pH.

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 13:40 »
Does anyone know if seaweed would lower the ph?
I know that jersey potatoes are grown in that.

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 15:39 »
I haven't found anything to suggest it moves pH one way or another, only that it's a great soil conditioner.

INFO

syks grower

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 20:49 »
Try looking up sulphur chips they lower the PH

xx
How do i make my soil more acidic

Started by dionne on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 05, 2007, 13:10
by Trillium
xx
Blueberries - how to make soil acidic

Started by ambodach on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 12, 2021, 20:15
by ambodach
xx
Acidic soil...

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 18, 2012, 18:39
by gavinjconway
xx
acidic soil

Started by 44hexx on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 22:11
by Babstreefern

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 40 queries.