Glass vs Polycarbon

• 67 Replies

thestens

• Experienced Member
Glass vs Polycarbon
« on: January 01, 2012, 12:19 »
I know this has been on before but didn't seem to get too much of an airing. Is there any advantage glass over PC on a 6 x 8 Aluminium frame green house?
Taken over neglected veg garden at new home. Enemy number 1 Ground Elder. Then there is the furry terror - bunnies - to contend with!
Made a start have beds established but moved in too late for serious planting. We shall see what 2015 brings.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Glass vs Polycarbon
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 12:39 »
Horticultural glass is cheaper and heavier (helps with stability), but also much more dangerous when broken unless you go for the considerably more expensive toughened version.

Main disadvantage of Polycarbonate is that it is more flexible than glass and can spring out of the frames in windy conditions, although extra clips and/or bedding in silicone sealant can deal with this quite effectively according to other forum posters.

I believe glass has slightly better light transmission than polycarbonate, but I don't think the difference is significant.

Mine is glazed with horticultural glass, but I'd probably choose polycarbonate if there were going to be young kids about, or a significant risk of "flying bricks" in the area.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

plum crumble

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 19:31 »
JayG - I am just looking into getting a 6x4 greenhouse for the back of my garden - it will be in a very sheltered spot, so potential panel-popping wind problems ( :blush:)  minimised. On that basis, would you go for the polycarbonate, rather than glass? I hate handling the glass when building greenhouses - once was enough! Then I had to dismantle it as the neighbours built an extension! I sold it on *Bay a couple of years ago.

So have now rearranged the garden and can get a new G/H - but which is best? Your advice appreciated.
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 19:38 »
I'd get a polycarb but silicone the panels in place, if you're scared of glass.
I have one of each and really don't see any difference between the 2  ;)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 19:49 »
I've been mulling over the merits of horticultural glass versus polycarbonate and decided on getting the latter when I buy my new greenhouse.  I've always had a glass one but now it's time to change.

Twin wall polycarbonate is a much improved material in recent years with decent heat retaining properties and diffuses light well.  It also will not shatter into dangerous shards when it breaks, if it breaks at all. 

I'm probably getting this one 8' x 10'. 

http://www.waltons.co.uk/waltons-extra-tall-polycarbonate-greenhouses-bronze

Cheese makes everything better.

plum crumble

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 20:29 »
thanks Ice and Mum - great advice, ta

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 22:37 »
I did a lot of research before making a decision, and it seemed to me that like many things it's not a choice between simply good or bad - cost, safety, light transmission, insulating properties, some doubts about how long twin-wall retains its transparency particularly if moisture starts to creep between the layers..........it goes on for as long as you can bear to keep Googling!)

If you're scared of horticultural glass and what it might do to you (understandable!) and can't run to the cost of safety glass then polycarbonate has to be the choice even if it isn't perfect.  :)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 22:46 »
You can Google until you are a gibbering wreck afraid to make a move at all. ::)  I, like Plum, am afraid of horticultural glass.  I have to take medications that thin my blood and am a little freaked out by broken glass and the prospect of dealing with it. :unsure:

I would feel totally safe in a polycarbonate greenhouse.  :)

plum crumble

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 18:52 »
well, I've done it now - gorn and got meself a polycarbon 6x4. Have cleared and levelled the space ready to receive the new baby! Now, tomorrow, I just have the small matter of construction to contend with  :tongue2: . I shall keep reminding myself how I hated doing the glass one before, so I don't get too fed up. And how lovely it will be to finally have a g/h again that isn't shaded by the neighbour's new extension (grrr)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 19:12 »
I shall keep reminding myself how I hated doing the glass one before, so I don't get too fed up. And how lovely it will be to finally have a g/h again that isn't shaded by the neighbour's new extension (grrr)

Know what you mean (horticultural glass is sooooooo not 21st century darling!)  :wub:

(I of course managed to erect and glaze my ally/glass greenhouse without any problems at all but then sliced my hand open on the step ladder as I carried it back into the house!)  :lol:

plum crumble

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 19:28 »
 :nowink: :nowink: :nowink:  ::)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 21:53 »
well, I've done it now - gorn and got meself a polycarbon 6x4.
I'll see your 6x4 and raise you an 8x10, arriving tomorrow. :tongue2: :)  Woohoo indeed. 8)

plum crumble

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 00:02 »
yeah, you've won that one Ice. But I don't mind. rather construct my little one than your big'un!!  ::) :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 00:04 »
Ice always wanted a big'un  ::)  :lol:

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 14:31 »
It's not here yet.  Might have to borrow JayG and his extra long orangutan arms to help build it. :)

xx
Greenhouse needs glass

Started by Njal on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post February 16, 2009, 20:30
by beansticks
xx
New Greenhouse No glass!

Started by carlrmj on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 12, 2012, 19:02
by carlrmj
xx
Greenhouse glass

Started by Fluff on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post February 25, 2009, 17:04
by si-mate
xx
glass or plastic?

Started by chris1976 on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post June 07, 2006, 12:31
by stompy

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 40 queries.