Greenhouse needs glass

• 7 Replies

Njal

Greenhouse needs glass
« on: February 13, 2009, 16:47 »
The greenhouse which came with my allotment is missing some glass.

The cracked and broken panes I can deal with but the whole end of the greenhouse has no glass as it was previously butted up against another greenhouse (now gone).

I undertstand greenhouse glass costs a fortune and was wondering where I could get some cheap (or free!).

Another plot owner advised me against acetate or acrylic panes as he said the wind is so strong that they flex and pop out.

I'm toying with the idea of using thick transparent polythene sheet temporarily but can't think of a good way of attaching it to the frame easily.

Any ideas?

commerlad

Re: Greenhouse needs glass
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 17:16 »
If its a typical frame you can get little plastic pegs that slot and lock into the channels for holding up shade netting or strings (various brands as well). These will hold a sheet for a while if you use enough of them and the edge of the frame can be wrapped round and fed under the glass you do have  ;)
Sometimes I think laterally but then I have to get up!

Gwiz

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 18:56 »
or a thin wooden frame, screwed with self tapping screws to the aluminium frame of the greenhouse, and then the heavy duty polythene sheet stapled on to it?

Ferris

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 22:30 »
Guess its all relative but I wouldnt say glass costs a fortune. I have just had to replace 6 panels plus a couple of louvres on the vent in my greenhouse - one 2' square piece and 5 2' x 2'4". My OH phoned a local company out of the thompson directory and the bloke said that he had some "off cuts" (or the glass equivalent) of 4mm thick glass (greenhouse glass is usually 3mm apparently) and he could do the lot for about £40. Now to me that is pretty good - OK it still 40 quid but thats a lot of glass all cut to size just ready to pop in.

Another idea is to look for another greenhouse either in the local free ads or freecycle/ebay which may be missing a bit of glass and then make one good greenhouse out of 2 half ones?

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 22:34 »
Look around for anyone having new windows put in, then cut the peices to size yourself (or someone who knows what they are doing).  old double glazing is the best as you get 2 bits of glass for one  :happy:

My second GH has just been glazed in exactly this way, and DG glass seems to be thicker than standard gh glass as it is so BONUS!

Njal

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 11:05 »
£40 doesn't seem bad - a lot cheaper than what I was looking at.

I have been watching freecycle and free ads for a few weeks but seen nothing.

Unfortunately, both my parents and my sister recently had some building work done but when I enquired about the old glass: "the builders took it away"  :(

hindy

• Experienced Member
    • Hayden Road Allotmenteers
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 10:04 »
I have been watching freecycle and free ads for a few weeks but seen nothing.

Hi Njal

Try putting a wanted on the freecycle groups.
I have a 10' x 8' greenhouse. Last year when I got the greenhouse, i errected the frame and left the glass in the shed to put in the following week. Unfortunately some scroat set fire to the shed  >:(   This left me with a greenhouse with no glass.
I put a wanted on freecycle and this very nice lady called me saying that she had a 12' greenhouse that she did not want. I got all the glass I needed and a few panes over. Unfortunately I had to leave the frame because it was over the size allowed on our lotty.
I gave her a few bottle of home brew wine in return, she was well pleased.
Andy
Founder of Hayden Road Allotmenteers

beansticks

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 20:30 »
I would do as Qwiz suggested,seems the best option for a while.

wireless
greenhouse no glass

Started by compoQ on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 19:29
by compoQ
xx
greenhouse glass

Started by AK9 on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post December 10, 2014, 20:58
by jezza
xx
New Greenhouse No glass!

Started by carlrmj on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 12, 2012, 19:02
by carlrmj
xx
Greenhouse glass?

Started by neil1967 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post January 17, 2009, 23:36
by neil1967

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 38 queries.