GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Burford Browns
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 15:09 »
You can only try scabs!!!

orchardlady

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 20:55 »
Just  thought, I've had a quick look at Clarence Court 's web site. It mentions that the birds are allowed to roam free and the photos do indicate that the cockerels are with the hens...might it be worth a visit to your local supplier (list on CC web page) and pop the eggs under you know who or in you know what? ;)

chickadee

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 08:53 »
Just  thought, I've had a quick look at Clarence Court 's web site. It mentions that the birds are allowed to roam free and the photos do indicate that the cockerels are with the hens...might it be worth a visit to your local supplier (list on CC web page) and pop the eggs under you know who or in you know what? ;)
wildwitchy had a go with some from the supermarket - good indications of being fertile but was not a sucess ... they do taste good and have the deepest yolk colour i have ever seen
chickens out

orchardlady

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 21:55 »
Well if there was good indications of them being fertile I'll certainly give it a go next year if I have a broodie hen.

tiptopchickendon

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 19:06 »
Well if there was good indications of them being fertile I'll certainly give it a go next year if I have a broodie hen.

Me too, but how would you know the eggs are fresh enough to begin with ?

orchardlady

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 19:15 »
I would say that an egg is fresh for as long as the sell by date, however the fertility does decline the older it gets. If you do buy some eggs from the shops allow them to 'settle' before putting under the hen/incubator. Usually for a day or two. If you are collecting eggs from one of your own hens to put into an incubator or under a broody keep them in an egg box and turn them once every 24 hours, then once your hen has laid the amount you require your are ready. :)

orchardlady

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 19:18 »
I would say that an egg is fresh for as long as the sell by date, however the fertility does decline the older it gets. If you do buy some eggs from the shops allow them to 'settle' before putting under the hen/incubator. Usually for a day or two. If you are collecting eggs from one of your own hens to put into an incubator or under a broody keep them in an egg box and turn them once every 24 hours, then once your hen has laid the amount you require your are ready. :)

tiptopchickendon

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 09:57 »
Thx orchardlady

x2    ;)

evie2

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2010, 15:17 »
£10 for day old unsexed chicks, knowing my luck they'd all end up as very expensive Sunday roasts ::)  but they do sound interesting :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

xx
Burford Browns

Started by Tartuffe on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 14:05
by treacleminer

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 37 queries.