Neighbours Extension!

• 25 Replies

FRUITFULL

Re: Neighbours Extension!
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 21:53 »
I phoned the council.They are sending me out a booklet on boundries.They dont seem too keen to get involved unless i persue this.I was sort of hoping they would come and have a look but it appears not.I will read the booklet when it comes and go from there.What i am suprised about is they were shocked by what i told them and there are no building regs or planning permision,so i think its a case of unless someone complains and pushes for action they turn a blind eye!

BestBreast

• Experienced Member
  • Chhhhiiiiiiickens.......
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 22:10 »
Did you speak to someone in building control. I'm surprised they were not more helpful. I was looking at a house las year which had a garage converted (you need building regs for this) they were willing to come out a look at it with me and I was only an interested buyer for the property in question. I would wait for booklet, read up all you can on the net and call again......

Good luck

MoreWhisky

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2009, 08:46 »
Have u actually spoke to your new neighbours with your concerns yet? as sooner or later they will get to hear your not happy. Best coming from you and they might even thankyou for it if they haven't realised.
Or have communications already broken down?
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

FRUITFULL

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2009, 12:12 »
No we havent spoke to them as i am fearfull of conflict.I have read the boundry leaflet which came in the post this morning.According to that they should have written to us saying they wish to build an extension down the boundry line and we have to agree within 14 days.They then would have to get a survayor out.Because they havent written to us we would now have to get a court injuntion to stop the work which would incure costs to us.Then it goes into a lenghthy battle and obviously will end up with bad feeling.
We have decided to leave it and unfortunatly accept whats done,if there are any problems down the line we will have to face that.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2009, 12:51 »
Ok , well i hope it all works out ok for you.

Trillium

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 15:49 »
To protect yourself from the inevitable future legal problems, you might want to have it registered somewhere in writing that you were never notified prior to the work nor did you agree in any way verbally. It will then be up to the neighbours to prove there were work permits, planning permission, etc as well as your permission with the mega boundary infraction. Sadly, that's the way of these things these days.

FRUITFULL

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2009, 17:15 »
Good idea Trill thank you for that.I will call council monday and ask their advise on how to get it logged.
Many thanks to everyone for your advise
Hazel

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2009, 18:37 »
I must say my own experience of councils is that they are keen to ensure you do the right thing ( as you have to pay them money for stuff) but not so keen to get invloved in sorting out others' mess (as they haven't paid?  - cynical sneeze - and might not.

However, talking to someone in building control or building regs may be more helpful.

Also, it might be a good idea to broach the subject with your neighbours in some way, as to ne honest if a guy from the council does turn up at their door they might be a bit miffed, to say the least. Easier to have the first conversation prov]bably, along the lines of do they know there is a bit of a gap/hole/ lean and you are a bit worried for them/would they like to have a look & see what they think as they might need to contatc their builders... that type of thing. Like you I try to avoid conflict, but in this instance it could be the hand of friendship...
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2009, 21:28 »
The neighbours may also appreciate it if you tell them what's wrong, before tey walk across their extension and then end up in a heap in your garden when the blooming things subsides!!!!   :) :)

BestBreast

• Experienced Member
  • Chhhhiiiiiiickens.......
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2009, 22:12 »
You want to get the name of the person you speak to, log the date and time. If you can record the conversation (mobile heaven), just don't forget to tell the council you are recording the conversation for your own protection/records or it does not stand as evidence. I would also put it in an e-mail and letter/fax and get them to comfirm by email/letter fax back to you; if you don't you can't prove anything. They probably wont be happy but put it to them you are concerned about you and your neighbours safety and don't know what to do, ask for guidance they hate the word advice (it's a legal thing). I would speak to your legal dept of your home insurance (if you have legal protection) they can usually offer advice even if they cannot help with the situation (may make things clearer for you). The council do have a duty of care, they have to act on it if notified correctly (verbally may not be offically recorded). Take it to your councellor (get to those town hall meetings).

David.

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2009, 20:34 »
To protect yourself from the inevitable future legal problems, you might want to have it registered somewhere in writing that you were never notified prior to the work nor did you agree in any way verbally. It will then be up to the neighbours to prove there were work permits, planning permission, etc as well as your permission with the mega boundary infraction. Sadly, that's the way of these things these days.

I suggest you take proper legal advice before acting on the above advice, as doing so may form the basis of a 'dispute' with your neighbours, which you will be required to disclose when (if) selling your property in the future and could predjudice a sale.

xx
pic of shed extension

Started by BestBreast on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 16:58
by dizzylizzie

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 29 queries.