Keeping Urban Hens Newbie Questions

• 16 Replies

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
Re: Keeping Urban Hens Newbie Questions
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 09:33 »

[/quote]

Actually they do lay eggs - its just that you need about 5000 for a decent omelette I suspect  :D  :D  :D
[/quote]

:D :D :D I'm not collecting them!

But to answer the original question, I am having problems with a friendly little ginger cat pooing in the garden and upsetting my chickens by looking at them in the run. The solution was to let the chickens into the garden. I only have two, a large black Australorp and a smaller Barnevelder, but you should have seen that cat run!!! Also no more pigeons or blackbirds in the garden for that day  :lol:

I've got a neighbour coming round to collect eggs and check water and food levels while I'm away. I'll be leaving the coop door open so they can access the run without any issues, but they'll be no free-ranging so I'll make sure they've plenty to keep themselves entertained.

Fingers crossed.

Alice - Australorp
Bernadette - Barnevelder
Dora - Silver Grey Dorking
LilliBet - Cream Leg Bar

Kenilworth

• Experienced Member
Re: Keeping Urban Hens Newbie Questions
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 12:03 »
, I read somewhere that urban foxes are in fact more of a problem than rural ones as they have become more crafty.

Thats interesting..........i was told it was the other way round as urban foxes have a larger food source than rural foxes? So can afford to take less risks etc when foraging. Though i must say from my very limited interaction with Mr Urban fox that they certainly seem less timid than their rural cousins which would make sense.

I'm guessing like most things it all depends on the situation and circumstances at hand at that moment in time.

xx
Chicken keeping newbie.. questions

Started by billycasper on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 16:03
by billycasper
xx
New to poultry keeping and a few questions

Started by arwen on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 24, 2011, 19:05
by ManicMum
question
Keeping Chickens: Some general questions

Started by michellela on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post October 09, 2010, 00:48
by darkbrowneggs
xx
chicken keeping newbie needs advice

Started by boosmummy on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 18, 2011, 20:29
by boosmummy

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 38 queries.