Noise and Neighbours

• 11 Replies

digby

• Experienced Member
Noise and Neighbours
« on: February 15, 2008, 08:01 »
Hello everyone,

I'm new here and have been thinking about getting a couple of chickens for our back garden.  We live on a housing estate but the garden is fairly large, giving them plenty of space and I will be able to secure it, but I'm concerned about noise from chickens.  One set of neighbours in particular we do not get on with and I try not to draw attention to myself which as a private music teacher with students pulling up ever 30 minutes in the evening is not easy.

I need to check out the regs on my allotment as I'm not sure if I'm allowed chickens on there but it is in a more isolated area with easier access for foxes etc.

So can anyone tell me if the noise of the chickens is particularly loud, or if it carries and most importantly if they are quiet at night?

Thank you any advise is appreciated.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Noise and Neighbours
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 08:05 »
they are silent at night, as they are asleep :)

Mine cluck a little bit and a little louder when laying, nothing that loud though. In fact several people near us didn't even know we had chickens till I told them last week and we have had them for months now.
GO FOR IT!!!

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Noise and Neighbours
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 08:06 »
Oh and welcome :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Noise and Neighbours
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 08:22 »
Hi Digby, and welcome!  The noisiest of my chooks is the cockerel, and he will be gone soon.  the hens only make a bit of noise when they have laid an egg, just to tell you how clever they are, but not at night, unless a fox or something gets in, then it can get noisy!!!!  But hopefully you're run will be fox proof!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Noise and Neighbours
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 09:09 »
And a few delicious free eggs to the neighbours works wonders  :D

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
Noise and Neighbours
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 09:22 »
They are nice quiet pets apart from laying time but thats not offensive.  You may find that the chickens break the ice with your neighbours as fascination value works wonders.  Best not to get the cockerel though, my 3 have competitions as to who can be loudest but I am lucky with no neighbours :)

As Auntie says a few fresh eggs often smooth the way :)

If they get nasty say ok we will get half a dozen dogs then, nice noisy ones!!  I know which noise I would prefer and its not barking :evil:

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
Noise and Neighbours
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 11:52 »
If they get nasty say ok we will get half a dozen dogs then, nice noisy ones!!  I know which noise I would prefer and its not barking :evil:[/quote]

:lol:  :l  What a great suggestion slowef, made me laugh...could even suggest you're getting peacocks...!

Go for it, hens make lovely noises but agree no cockerel...well maybe... if the neighbours are really horrid... !!!!

Judi

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
Whoops!
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 11:53 »
How did that angry smilie get there?!!! Should be a laughing one....how did I do that!!

Judi :lol:

jammy

Noise and Neighbours
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 12:16 »
I live on a housing estate and have two chickens.  Most of the time they are quiet and your neighbours wont even know you have them but occasionally mine do tend to shout a little.  Usually, as the others have said, when an egg has been laid.  
However, I would say they are certainly not in the same league as a dog out in the back garden barking and it only lasts a few minutes.  You'll probably find you notice it far more than anyone else because you are worried about it.  Night times are not a problem at all, as soon as it gets dark they will go to sleep :) and a few spare eggs given to the right people always makes things good!
Just go for it :)

digby

• Experienced Member
Noise and Neighbours
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 13:21 »
Hey, you guys are great - thank you for all the support, you've put my mind at rest because I really didn't want to have them on the allotment, much more difficult to contain.

I've also enjoyed looking through blogs and photos - loads of great advice on here.

D xx :D

scara

Noise and Neighbours
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 19:50 »
Digby Hi and welcome.

Firstky check your house deeds and see what they say about poultry/livestock, providing there are no restrictions on them then go for it, you will love it, as for noise as others have said only a little when they have laid the eggs  :D .

I have a relatively close neighbour who has dogs that literally bark for 20hrs a day  :evil:  and she then has the nerve to complain about my cockerel, she was then sent in the right direction of go forth and multiply by my wife :D  :D , needless to say she hasn't spoken to us since  :D  :D but she has shut her dogs up somewhat  :)  :)

Fat Hen

Noise and Neighbours
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 20:11 »
This thing with deeds & poultry restrictions, what would happen, who would enforce it :?:   I've never quite understood that bit.  I also thought that "keeping of poultry" meant for reward ie; lots of chucks as a business not a few as pets.

xx
Noise?

Started by francais on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 13, 2009, 20:13
by grumpydad
xx
New noise.

Started by Lardman on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 21, 2009, 19:17
by raeburg
xx
Hen introductions and noise!

Started by SarahJC on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 31, 2009, 12:08
by lucylou
xx
Chicken/hen noise

Started by nottage on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 22:14
by dawnsmith

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 32 queries.