Introduced the newbies to my existing flock - chaos!

• 5 Replies

Helenaj

Hi

Since it's a lovely day and I'm off work and spending the day in my garden  :) I thought it was time to introduce my young hens to my existing flock. I've raised them from egg up (despite having incubator problems last October) and they are now 5 months old and in lay. I've continued to keep them separate for a couple of weeks after laying started because they were on medicated growers and needed to be swapped to layer's pellets and the eggs dumped.

They are fen fowl - a mixture that includes leghorn and English game and are white with the odd black fleck here and there. Very pretty. I put them in the compound first before I let the others out - lots of room to escape (over half an acre). However, what did they do? They went and stood by the coop door, hackles raised and waited for me to open it. Chaos!

It seems I've hatched the Kray sisters, they stood to one side when my girls were coming out and ganged up on anything that tried to put them in their place, including my old cockerel!
I had to cull the cockerel that was hatched with them because he was very agressive, even as a young bird and last going off was terrible so re-housing was not an option - the three of them would go for my terriers. Unbelievable :nowink:
Anyway, 34 hens and a cockerel all on the other side of the compound, the Kray sisters -Ronni and Regina by 4 feeders and the drinker all on their own. I know who is going to be on top of the pecking order by the end of the day! :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Introduced the newbies to my existing flock - chaos!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 15:58 »
I think you have definately hatched the Kray sisters  :lol:  Newbies usually keep their heads down, especially when there is a cockerel in the new flock they are joining.  Seems these two are having none of that  :lol:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 07:08 »
I hope things settle down because you dont want any blood shed. Even the Kray twins ended up getting brought down lol
Staffies are softer than you think.

Helenaj

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 16:31 »
I hope things settle down because you dont want any blood shed. Even the Kray twins ended up getting brought down lol

Thankfully things are all quiet but they definitely are not bottom of the flock. Mad as a box of frogs!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 17:27 »
I've just introduced 6 bantie pekins plus a bantie pekin cockerel to my 3 large fowl oldies and the big girls are the scared ones too lol

Helenaj

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 16:14 »
I've just introduced 6 bantie pekins plus a bantie pekin cockerel to my 3 large fowl oldies and the big girls are the scared ones too lol

:lol: :lol:

xx
Chaos!

Started by min200 on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 15:03
by min200
xx
Older hen taking exception to newbies

Started by ghost61 on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post May 08, 2019, 13:27
by ghost61
xx
My flock out and about the other day...

Started by Nicki85 on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 08:19
by arugula
xx
The forum flock

Started by Spana on Chicken Chat

141 Replies
Last post December 05, 2010, 17:36
by otis pony

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 40 queries.