Allotment

• 8 Replies

mdjlucan

Allotment
« on: March 24, 2020, 04:14 »
Allotment what happens now I cannot go to my allotment because they say we cannot come from out of our house is there any way round this

metal detector man

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Allotment
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 08:50 »
Hi there

Apparently going to your allotment can count as your one form of exercise per day, said Michael Gove this morning on the BBC.

Of course, you must stay at least 2m away from anyone else on your way there and while gardening.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 09:36 »
 I thought going to the allotments was acceptable that's what was said by Michael Gove as i understand from your reply Yokie but as we are about a mile away from our allotments can we go there by car and i sometimes take the tractor down there with my rotavator and tools would this be acceptable within the new guidelines do you think?

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 18:46 »
I thought going to the allotments was acceptable that's what was said by Michael Gove as i understand from your reply Yokie but as we are about a mile away from our allotments can we go there by car and i sometimes take the tractor down there with my rotavator and tools would this be acceptable within the new guidelines do you think?

I can't see any reason why not. I drive down to my allotment, and so were others this morning. The core element of all this is to stay away from other people.

al78

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 23:55 »
Allotment what happens now I cannot go to my allotment because they say we cannot come from out of our house is there any way round this

No-one has explicitly said that. People are allowed to go outside for essential supplies, to care for a vulnerable member of society, or to do exercise. Allotment gardening falls under the category of exercise and is allowed as long as you respect social distancing.

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 15:19 »

Some people on our alotments already have had a visit from the plod, and we don't live in Derbyshire.
They were not happy that people were there and in cars but left it at that.
Me I live two miles away, so I am going to use the bicycle and go by the back lanes hoping that they have had their visit and say for now.
I have all the tools I need down there.

And yes the police are only doing their best to keep us safe.
STOP, and smell the roses!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 15:31 »
I have kept on my phone the bit where Michael Gove says we can work on our plots, ready to show anyone who questions my being there...
I think maybe the people who drive to their plots may have more trouble  than those of us within walking/bike riding distance  :(

OakR

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 16:36 »
I was going to drive, as I thought it was quicker and arguably safer (we can park in the allotment itself), but I think I will generally cycle now as I think they are worried about car breakdowns - we did get our MOT and service done only about 2 weeks ago though. cycling for me is more risk with stopping at lights etc but let's see.

I might drive when I have to go shopping as the allotment is 1 minutes drive from Sainsbury's and I have no idea how else to get all my tomato, pepper and cucumber seedlings there, but maybe I'll just try and sow my second batch down there instead of at home and see how things get on, or try taking them done in a backpack on my bike 1 or 2 at a time, unless I can get my pannier working again. The potatoes are going to be heavy - definitely will lift those one at a time I think if they come good!

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 18:58 »
The committee on our site checked regarding driving to the plots as there are a lot of older people who live too far away to walk there, and found that Michael Gove's announcement was backed up by the National Allotment Society and Gardner's World - so it must be right! My only concern was that the main gate and the cycle type lock were going to be touched by everyone, so we have a sanitiser spray, which needs to be done regularly. I also wear gloves. Other than that we using social distancing. Let's hope it works!

xx
allotment

Started by finster on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 01, 2011, 13:25
by chriscross1966
xx
Just got an allotment!

Started by Njal on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 14, 2009, 13:38
by Val H
xx
new allotment

Started by Axel2801 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 27, 2018, 16:24
by alexroyall85
xx
allotment

Started by cAnAry53 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 29, 2012, 14:11
by Headgardener22

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 50 queries.