Hydrometer question

• 9 Replies

Tricky

Hydrometer question
« on: October 07, 2009, 21:37 »
After making about 5 batches of wine with reasonable quality and never using a hydrometer (because I never had one) my question is, can I get a rough guide to its alcohol content by taking a reading from a shop brought wine/spirit and comparing it to the reading I would get from my finished products?

Faz

• Experienced Member
Re: Hydrometer question
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 19:49 »
No you take a reading before fermentation and afterwards, this tells you how much sugar has been turned to alcohol during the process.

Unfortunately ethanol has a very similar SG to water so you can't use an SG measurement of the finished product on its own.

gypsy

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 22:26 »
So how do I work out the strength of a batch of wine using a hydrometer? I Usually just test to see how much is needed for my brother to fall over! CC
Catherine

Ropster

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 07:51 »
you need to take a measurement before and ater fermentation, most hydrometers show potential alcohol,
take the after reading from the before and you have the answer

gypsy

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 09:28 »
 Thanks ropster. CC

Swing Swang

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 10:21 »
If you've already brewed a fairly clear wine it's possible to get an indication alcohol reading with a little glass gadget that looks a bit like a thistle (can't remember what it is called) works on surface tension and available from home brew shops. Not very accurate though.

SS

Tricky

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 19:57 »
If you've already brewed a fairly clear wine it's possible to get an indication alcohol reading with a little glass gadget that looks a bit like a thistle (can't remember what it is called) works on surface tension and available from home brew shops. Not very accurate though.

SS

i seem to recall something like this but cant remember any more than you have just said.
anybody else able to expand?

Swing Swang

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 22:52 »
Ah ha - the grey cells have worked their magic - it's  called a vinometer and is only accurate(ish) for dry wines. A google search or similar will tell you all you need to know.

Also possible to drive off the alcohol from a known volume of wine of known specific gravity, then make up to original volume with distilled water, then re-measure specific gravity, and apply the necessary calculations. Could look up the formula if you're interested, but you need to be very accurate with your measurements to get to an acceptable degree of accuracy.

SS

Tricky

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 20:34 »
Ah ha - the grey cells have worked their magic - it's  called a vinometer and is only accurate(ish) for dry wines. A google search or similar will tell you all you need to know.

Also possible to drive off the alcohol from a known volume of wine of known specific gravity, then make up to original volume with distilled water, then re-measure specific gravity, and apply the necessary calculations. Could look up the formula if you're interested, but you need to be very accurate with your measurements to get to an acceptable degree of accuracy.

SS

thanks for that, not too bothered about accuracy, more just curious.

too many girls

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 11:01 »
i'll offer to try it out for you ::) it takes 6 glasses of regular wine before i fall over compared to 2 of my dad's homemade, should be pretty easy to work out the alcohol content :lol:

xx
hydrometer

Started by audrey padmore on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post November 07, 2011, 15:39
by crh75
xx
Beer hydrometer for cider

Started by teflon on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post June 17, 2009, 17:49
by teflon
xx
read (misread) hydrometer

Started by anitaws on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post October 30, 2011, 15:29
by SG6
xx
Easy to read hydrometer

Started by David. on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post May 27, 2007, 14:33
by David.

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 36 queries.