Cheap meat cuts

• 63 Replies

Swing Swang

Re: Cheap meat cuts
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2011, 17:55 »
I'm with Milly - look forward to the 'fowling season, and will find ways foul and devious (but legal!) to procure game (although technically duck isn't game!).

Back to cheap cuts - roadkill is about as cheap as you can get, although nowadays I only stop for hares and deer (although I like to have seen the deer being dispatched)

From the butcher:
Pigs trotters - my all time favourite cheap cut - one of my locals just asks for a donation in the charity box. Go well with kidney beans, or in a Portuguese feijoada.
Bath chaps/cheeks/tails.
Actually the whole of the head is pretty good - snout and ears in particular - on the continent they are available smoked

Offal - unfortunatly tripe is getting quite pricey though

'Mutton' from Asian stores - not 'proper' mutton in most cases, but meat from a two year old 'cull ewe' - usually quite good value though. If you're brave enough the head is tasty too.

SS

MoreWhisky

« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2011, 09:58 »
Yesterday i saw a piece of thin rib i just had to buy  :D not exactly cheap anymore but i cant wait till i tastes it. Got all day to cook in it.

Any cooking  tips anyone?? been years since ive cooked thin rib.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2011, 07:53 »
I've never actually seen them for sale MoreWhisky, but I'd do a long slow braise with veg and stock and a bottle of beer chucked in the pot for good measure.

I'd need mash or lots of bread for the gravy as well   :D

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2011, 08:51 »
We love the cheaper cuts of meat.

Scrag end of lamb will make a good stew, as does boned out breast of lamb you just need to treat it with care. I agree with cooking it 'twice' sooooooooooo tender. Shin of beef if all the sinue is removed can sometimes be passed off as filet of beef, I never go for the 'regular' beef joints as I find them too dry and tough.

We also get venison during the local cull very cheaply. So much so that I end up making sausages with it among other things. Strips of venison heart dusted in flour and lightly fried is very tasty, my kids love it.

Pheasants, pigeons arrive needing plucking and drawing before use, not to mention the odd rabbit as well. I am very very lucky living where I do and knowing the people I do. I seem to rarely buy meat any more, and when I do I try to use the butcher in the next village.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

xx
Free Meat

Started by corco2000 on Frugal Living

5 Replies
Last post January 18, 2010, 21:28
by brownhandbag
xx
Meat Offer

Started by Blackpool rocket on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post August 27, 2017, 10:10
by Blackpool rocket
xx
I'm so cheap...

Started by leeky on Frugal Living

4 Replies
Last post September 21, 2007, 04:46
by leeky
xx
Going cheap....

Started by snowdrops on Frugal Living

3 Replies
Last post June 30, 2016, 19:56
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 35 queries.