Re: Drooling over skips
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2011, 09:19 »
some great ideas there Lindeggs  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Paul Canning

• Experienced Member
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2011, 17:02 »
managed to get a wheelbarrow for free from a skip not an hour ago!!

It was in a skip out the back of a garden centre of all places, had been used by some builders who'd done some work (typical builder barrow, been used for transporting some concrete) and left when they were finished as it was abused had some splits in the metal and the pneumatic tyre was off the rim and flat.

Asked inside and they said no problem.

within an hour, it's home, bashed straight, tyre reseated and inflated (no puncture) and the axles regreased and Ive posted this!!

I could weld up the couple of splits on it but don't see any point frankly as they're not that bad and it's only for general use on the allotment.

£30 saved  :-)

« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 17:18 by Paul Canning »

noshed

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2011, 00:10 »
Bit of a breeze round the dog
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Paul Canning

• Experienced Member
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2011, 17:48 »
LOL, certainly was!, still is in fact, blustery as heck about here at the moment.

NellyCB

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2011, 18:54 »
Last year I got about 50 plant pots (large) from the skip at work (local police station).
A cannabis farm had been raided the day before and all the equipment (used and unused) gets skipped regardless of what condition it's in.  I asked our facilities dept and I was allowed to take the unused pots!!

rowlandwells

« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2011, 20:01 »
i am a firm believer in wast not want not my next door neighbour was moving she had a skip delivered and asked me if i could help to fill the skip the end result was most of the goodies i retrieved out the skip ended up in my workshop but we still managed to fill the skip up with unwanted stuff from other neighbours i dumped all the stuff  my workshop its completely full of the goodies ;)

my son came up our house the next day and said to my wife dad needs a skip to put all this c---p in that was over a month ago still waiting for the good weather so we can tidy out the workshop and i'me keeping all the goodies  :)

i would advise anyone to seek permission before helping yourself to any thing out the skip most are usually obliging after all its being thrown just ask i know its b---ly shame to see things that could be put to good use ending up in the skip there is a new shop opened in the town selling skip goods that have been sorted from the local re-cycling centre i love to have a browse in there  :D :D

chrissie B

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2011, 17:20 »
i once got 2 perfect wooden garden chairs and there were more in there but hubby was away and i couldnt get the rest but have the chairs and just needed a lick over with some stain , still got them now .
i would be thinking in this cash strapped time s that the wood be gone quite soon
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2011, 20:25 »
Used to go to a pine furniture place before we moved , filled a trailer with off cuts ,perfect for kindling. The owner would be charged to have it emptied so he was quite happy. Free heat!
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

BirminghamRyan

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2011, 22:45 »
Last year I got about 50 plant pots (large) from the skip at work (local police station).
A cannabis farm had been raided the day before and all the equipment (used and unused) gets skipped regardless of what condition it's in.  I asked our facilities dept and I was allowed to take the unused pots!!

Our site, and others in birmingham, used to get compost from cannabis raids delivered by the skipload, it was all good, compost, pots, propogator lids, an electric fan, lots of pairs of scissors and various sundry items. Unfortunately on their last visit they brought about 2 barrows of compost, a load of rubbish and a dead cat. We had to get them to come back and take it all away again, and haven't seen any since. Rumor has it that the contract for disposing of the stuff has been taken over by another company so there is still hope, but we don't have a contact for it any more.

xx
Wood chippings and skips

Started by ElizabethB on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2020, 10:28
by mumofstig
xx
"The useful things you find in skips" !

Started by Kleftiwallah on Frugal Living

11 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 23:29
by grendel

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 36 queries.