help prolapse

• 8 Replies

arty

help prolapse
« on: July 23, 2013, 08:38 »
hello it's me again with the isolated chicken from a couple of days ago .....yesterday she developed a prolapse I got her straight to the chicken vet who started bathing it and it went back in easily....however within an hour of getting home it was back out my vet suggested I used hibiscrub and when I started bathing it it popped back in without any problem ...this morning its out again I repeated the bathing and it went back in ...........but looking now about half hour later its back out .........my vet suggested a hormone implant to stop her laying but it looks like any strain is popping it out ...........any suggestions I am worried about fly stike too as my vet said she had seen two cases of fly strike in chickens this week ......

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: help prolapse
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 09:29 »
keeping her clean will help stop fly strike. Next time you have to pop it in used germaloids or another  hemorrhoid cream, this will help reduce any swelling. Keep her in the dark to stop her wanting to lay and then take up your vets suggestion and get the implant. :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

arty

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 09:37 »
thanks shall I feed her just the same ?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 09:50 »
yes she will be fine with her normal food  :)

ehs284

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 11:06 »
Some people use haemorrhoid creams. I've found that, once the prolapse is back in place granulated sugar sprinkled over the vent and surrounding area helps shrink things. You don't need to worry about fly strike if you're bathing and treating her every day as the eggs need 8 hours or more to hatch and the flies won't lay the eggs on clean material. Some people put citronella oil on feathers to deter flies.

arty

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 11:08 »
thank you ...i will try that too ....I guess my health food shop will have citronella oil do you put it on neat ?

ehs284

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 18:48 »
Yes, onto feathers not skin. The idea is that flies don't like the odour. Whether the chooks like it or not I don't know - but they are not keen on the mite dusting powder which uses it, so perhaps it will help reduce the temptation for a bit of pecking. Best of luck.

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 09:10 »
Take care with neat oil. If you get it on the skin it will burn :ohmy:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

arty

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 10:48 »
thanks Sassy unfortunately the chicken in question has very few feathers around her back end ...these were 4 hens that I found abandoned on the side of the road.....not sure if they were ex batts but two have bald back ends.......although recently I have noticed the top hen pecking at the others feathers and eating them so wondered if she has caused the damage ......they are all free ranging now in my garden so have lots to peck and scratch at .........the chicken with the prolapse looks better this morning I had to put the prolapse in 4 times yesterday but have used germaloids and sugar and this morning it was in and looks like it's staying in so fingers and beaks crossed .....thanks for all your helpful comments ... :)

xx
Prolapse

Started by Chicken Pete on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 04, 2011, 14:42
by PaulineM
xx
Prolapse

Started by Knight Family on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 13:24
by Maccbean
xx
Prolapse

Started by Beano on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 11, 2012, 09:35
by Beano
xx
prolapse why?

Started by dollybird on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 25, 2010, 19:37
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 39 queries.