Eggs?!!?

• 6 Replies

Vickie & Richard

Eggs?!!?
« on: August 18, 2008, 12:30 »
I got my 4 'point of laying' girls last Monday and they settled in really well, they love having extra treats like greens and they nearly ripped my hand off for the worms i found gardening!  

I was told they are between 17-19 weeks old.  At what ask should i expect to see any eggs, i have two rhode island reds, a black rock and a blue ranger.  

Are there any signs to look out for?  

Do their bums get fluffy?  

Or are there anyother things to look out for?  

What time off the day do they normally lay (i thought it was after breakfast and maybe lunchtime?)  

Sorry for all the questions but you are all really helpful.

orfy

• Experienced Member
Eggs?!!?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 12:40 »
My chucks are getting fluffy bums as well they have increased in size in the week I had them.

If that is a sign then I'll start checking the nest boxes.

Vember

Eggs?!!?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 12:44 »
Their combs normally go redder when they's getting near to laying :)

Don't think fluffy bottoms come into it but you never know :?

As for laying a normal chicken lays an egg every 25 hours so it varies daily with a day off every 7th day :)

although I did have one who laid every 24hrs then would have 2 weeks off before starting again :lol:

Vember :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Eggs?!!?
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 12:51 »
My Babcocks will be 19 weeks on Thursday, and some of them have started laying already, so hopefully yours will soon too.  You may find the blue ranger lays first, then the black rock then the Rhodey!

Like my  Babcocks they were reared during the getting longer days of spring and summer, whereas my last lot of Amberlinks who were raised through the autumn and winter, didn't start to lay until they were 25-26 weeks.

Another sign of them getting ready to lay is when they 'hunker' down in front of you.  that's their sign of submission to a cockerel, and I've never seen any of mine do it until they are just about ready to lay.  Another way is that if you feel their pelvic bones, near the vent at the back, they widen out as the chicken gets older, when they are young, they are very close together apparently.

Fingers crossed you won't have long to wait!!

Vickie & Richard

Eggs?!!?
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 12:58 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"
My Babcocks will be 19 weeks on Thursday, and some of them have started laying already, so hopefully yours will soon too.  You may find the blue ranger lays first, then the black rock then the Rhodey!

Like my  Babcocks they were reared during the getting longer days of spring and summer, whereas my last lot of Amberlinks who were raised through the autumn and winter, didn't start to lay until they were 25-26 weeks.

Another sign of them getting ready to lay is when they 'hunker' down in front of you.  that's their sign of submission to a cockerel, and I've never seen any of mine do it until they are just about ready to lay.  Another way is that if you feel their pelvic bones, near the vent at the back, they widen out as the chicken gets older, when they are young, they are very close together apparently.

Fingers crossed you won't have long to wait!!

My black rock is very submissive to me, she always lays flat when i stroke her, making it easy to pick her up and give her a cuddle.  I really hope she lays first as she is such a sweetie.  My blue ranger isn't at all friendly, not sure she will come round, mind you it is early days.

mumsy

Eggs?!!?
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 13:25 »
I have also found that they may go in & out of the house for a few days before hand..................My Holly spent two weeks doing that, then on her big day, moved all the straw from the nest box to a corner in her house......spent all day in there til she'd laid :lol:  :lol:  After that she has laid in the nest box!!!!!!

Miller

Eggs?!!?
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 16:14 »
We had some of Grannie annie's Babcocks - one laid at just under 17 weeks, we've now got 3 of the 8 laying - like the others said combs definitely get much redder - Grannie annie - I wondered what the squatting down was - they're all doing that now so we'll be inundated with eggies in the next week then

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 29 queries.