HALF WAY>

• 5 Replies

wapello

• Experienced Member
HALF WAY>
« on: June 20, 2019, 19:14 »
 Right we are half way into the year,, so what have you got on the go and what has failed you and what would you do different next time,?

Me  well my poly tunnel and the weather on the isle of wight has helped me along,, i'm on my  3rd  crop of carrots,  i done 6 tubs of new pot's  we have 4 tubs left,, caul's we are getting a feed off them ,,cabbage not ready yet, same with courgettes and marrows,, ive only done 4 tomato plants they are doing well beetroot 2nd sowing doing good, runner beans top of the sticks [only done 10 plants thia year] 2 rows of turnips with another 30 in root trainers ready to plant out,, 4 rows of swedes and 32 kohl rabi in trainers to plant out,,lifted my elephant garlic and onions they are drying off in the tunnel, and a glut of strawberries.
I hope you all are doing well,
Colin

andyww2013

• Experienced Member
Re: HALF WAY>
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 08:20 »
Nice work.

So a little further north in a very wet Berkshire...

Potatoes not quite ready, runner beans about a foot high, carrots and beetroot not ready, cabbages just starting to develop hearts, sprouts about 2 foot tall.  My onions are starting to bulb, also this year cut and ate the stems on my garlic which was very good.

On the eating front plenty of kale, peas, spinach, broad beans, radish and purple sprouting.

We are forecasted some sun this week so i would expect a bit surge.

erikaz1

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 08:44 »
Up in North Wales, the snails have made a right mess of the rhubarb. Small crawly white grubs have demolished the radishes, the carrots are coming on slowly but I don't hold out much hope for them, the cabbages and kale are mostly falling victim to more white grubs eating the  roots (and being fed to the chickens), one patch of potatos has the early signs of blight so I've chopped off and burnt anything that looks diseased. On a more positive note, the tomatoes are still alive and I have a small army of pumpkin, squash, courgette and marrow seedlings just appearing. With a bit of luck it won't all be a total disaster this year.

neilbdavies684

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 09:11 »
Hi,

North Wales as well, generally feels it’s been little slow to get going.

Lots of lettuce and salads, strawberries have been good so far, plenty of slugs! Climbing beans have just started to climb properly in the last week and are going well, sweet corn thickening up, raspberries looking strong.

Basil, coriander, parsley etc only just stating to bush out, all my winter brassica seedlings coming on well. Tomatoes going well.

Hopefully plenty of sun from here on in 🤔

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 13:37 »
After a slow start my onions are looking good as is the Pak Choi and have already harvested some Climbing French beans from my g-house, the yellow Sonesta ones in there won't be too far off, sweet corns are showing tassels and my two toms are looking as best as I've ever seen them. Can't decide if it's the weather or me using dilute Maxicrop. I must get my leeks and spring onions planted because they're in big pots and look as if they're ready to jump out! I must have a furtle to see if my pots are ready.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

theothermarg

• me
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 15:14 »
I've beaten Flea beetles on the brassica's, bunnies off the onions (never known this before) voles from shredding the carrot tops and now it's finally stopped raining for 5 minutes I'm hoping the runner and French beans will stand a chance. talking of rain (and we do a lot) have given up on strawberries this year as the wet conditions have made them brown and mushy.

On the bright side very good broad beans, the blackberry bushes are covered with bee's on the blossom and the gooseberries and blackcurrants are nearly ripe. the courgettes, squash and pumpkin look healthy and I have a greenhouse full of tomato's coming on a treat. looking forward to these as I don't buy shop ones anymore.
Tell me and I,ll forget,Show me and I might
remember,Involve me and I,ll understand

xx
half potato half tomato plant??

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 04, 2010, 00:16
by bonfire
xx
New half plot

Started by Audy70 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 07, 2014, 13:26
by Audy70
clip
New half Allotment -

Started by whitehill1 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 10, 2018, 07:01
by paul sadler
xx
New half-plot

Started by borderer1951 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 20, 2020, 11:56
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 37 queries.