newbie...

• 12 Replies

paul veg

newbie...
« on: May 17, 2011, 20:37 »
Hi All,  I have been trying to think what I could grow with my kids helps, I have just bought a small plastic greenhouse tonight, size off a grow bag wide and around 1 mt high, I have planted 3, tommy plants in the bag, My friend said i have not got room for them to grow etc, ( 1 will be taken out and replanted in a bigish pot ) I was wanting to no what other food we could poss grow in our back garden I MUST grow everthing in buckets or large plant pots as we dont have much space due to the garden decking etc, things i was going to try are tommys, red/white oinions, spuds, poss sweetcorn, chillis, carrots, cabbages, cucumbers, strawberries, is it poss for me to grow any off these in pots etc and these  will be left out side all the time. thanks for any replies.

Paul veg.

shokkyy

• Mishka
Re: newbie...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 20:42 »
Yes, you can grow any of those things in pots or buckets or whatever you've got lying around that's big enough. Chillis will do a lot better if they've got as much sun and warmth as you can give them, so I'd put them in the warmest and most sheltered spot you can find. Any of the rest are fine outdoors.

paul veg

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 20:48 »
do i need to buy any special foods or is it water from the tap all the way.

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 21:16 »
Outside my back door I grow the following in pots.....

mixed salad leaves ( you can cut and come again and they come in ready mixed packets)
chives, rocket, mint, and oregano.

you could also try beetroot, spring onions, garlic, potatoes in a bag, peas growing in a pot with a wigwam of canes for them to grow up ( they have lovely flowers too), one courgette plant will provide lots of courgettes ovee the summer ( again lovely bright yellow flower before each fruit develops).

Fisherman

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 21:57 »
If your growing things with your kids its best to grow some things where you get quick results: -

• Mustard and cress in small trays. Just sow the seed on the surface of some compost and then water. Ready in about 1 week. Sutton seeds are good.
    Lettuce cut and come again are good sown in medium sized pots / troughs. Try one call Valamaine from Thompson & Morgan.
    Mixed salad leaves are easy and quick to grow again in medium sized pots / troughs. Try
    Bright & Spicy from Thompson & Morgan.
    Radish are good to grow. French Breakfast  is a reliable one although not good when the weather warms up (I wish).
    Rocket and spinach are good for salads and ready in about 6 weeks.
    Courgettes started off in 3/4 inch pots then transplanted into large pots are good. Try green and yellow varieties.
    Carrots, beetroot, french beans, peas, sugar snap peas are also good in pots but take much longer to grow.
All in all there isn't much you can't grow in containers if you put your mind to it. Just grow what you like to eat so as not to waste your time and effort. OK now but in future take care to sow things at the correct time so as to avoid frost damage. Use a good quality compost and feed as required. Courgettes need loads of food either in the form of manure or a liquid feed.

Good Luck
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 21:58 by Fisherman »

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 22:32 »
Beans up a wigwam, or dwarf variety...accompanied by the story of Jack and the Beanstalk...!

lancashiregardeninggal

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 00:50 »
Fisherman is bang on the money as regards involving children - they always want to see quick results - although all the other posts are correct too  :) Maybe you could give each of the kids their own tub and let them sow and label their efforts - they could have a sunflower growing contest (there is still time) although I always start mine off indoors to give them strong growth which helps to protect against slugs  :)
'Is All That We See Or Seem But A Dream Within A Dream'........Edgar Allan Poe

paul veg

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 16:30 »
Thanks for the replies, I will be popping to my local diy/garden centre this week and see what ready for me to plant, instead of buy seeds which i might be late in the year to grow from a seed. fingers crossed i could get some spring oinions, poss carrots etc, i will post up what i buy and upload a photo if poss so you's can put me right LOL...

Paul veg.

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 16:53 »
Just one small thing with your small greenhouse - temperatures will fluctuate widely more than a bigger one and can get really hot if not well-ventilated. Good luck!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

paul veg

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 17:03 »
here is some off the pot etc which i have planted my veg in....
30 spring onions, 1 tommy plant, and 10 runner beans.jpg
2 tommy plants and 1 sweet pepper plant.jpg

paul veg

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 19:42 »
Can I over water my veg, would i be right is saying to water them every night after my tea ???

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 20:27 »
Yes you can overwater.
only water if they are dry, stick a finger in to see as only the surface may be dry. If it's damp underneath - then don't water.

paul veg

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 22:41 »
thanks for the tip i will try this next time...

xx

Started by oldh on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 21, 2011, 20:55
by operabunny
xx
newbie here

Started by gidster on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post November 14, 2008, 20:29
by rictic
xx
Hi from a newbie

Started by Ice on Grow Your Own

43 Replies
Last post December 17, 2006, 14:08
by Ice
xx
newbie help please!

Started by clarabel on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 30, 2008, 23:08
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.386 seconds with 37 queries.