BEES!!!

• 3 Replies

TheSpartacat

BEES!!!
« on: April 23, 2011, 21:44 »
I've just discovered a hive of bees underground on my plot! I was digging quite close to them, as i'm still clearing the plot of brambles roots, and all i could hear was a very intense hummmmm

Then spotted a couple who flew in the drainage gap between my plot and the next and disappeared... There's about 7 'entrances' to underneath my plot along my drainage ditch!!!
EEK!
They're not bumble bees.. they don't have fuzzy bottoms and are long-ish... i would think they are honey bees, but i didnt think honey bees opted for underground hives.... and there were a LOT of them coming in and out!

Oh bother....

Anyone know how large honeybee hives underground are? I really don't want to disturb them with my azada. That could make for a lot of unpleasantness.
Are they likely to swarm?
Anyone living happily with underground honey bees on your plot? Got any tips?

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
Re: BEES!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 22:42 »
http://insectpix.net/solitary_bees_gallery.htm

Take a look there, your bees might be amongst those. whatever you do though, unless they are causing you a real nuisance, please don't hurt them as we need all the bees we can get  :(

TheSpartacat

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 00:31 »
http://insectpix.net/solitary_bees_gallery.htm

Take a look there, your bees might be amongst those. whatever you do though, unless they are causing you a real nuisance, please don't hurt them as we need all the bees we can get  :(

I totally agree. My fiance's first reaction was "exterminate".... you shoulda seen my look of Horror!!! With colony collapse disorder, its quite scarey where we might end up without our friend the bee.... i just don't want to underestimate the size of their colony and end up being chased by some angry bees because i started excavating where they live!

Thanks for the link -help is most appreciated!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 00:32 by TheSpartacat »

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 06:36 »
They are probably not honeys as they prefer not to live under ground, they will be one of the types that rhysdad has linked to. Are you sure they are not bumbles as the ones in our bumblebee hive are quite small.
They have no reason to be aggressive unless people annoy them so I would be tempted to leave them alone do you need to dig where they are, if they are bumbles their nest will be quite small say around the size of a grapefruit, at the end of the season they will all be gone if thats any help

xx
bees

Started by bridgeford on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 11, 2007, 19:46
by muntjac
xx
help with bees !!

Started by karma22 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 13:55
by kevinp
smiley
Bees

Started by Enfield Glen on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2015, 10:16
by NewSteve
xx
bees

Started by gillybee on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 11, 2007, 22:08
by Trillium

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 36 queries.