• 9 Replies

oldh

« on: April 21, 2011, 16:49 »
Hi
I have just acquired my allotment, which needs a lot of clearing before I can even think of planting out.
As we are nearly into May my thought, was to clear the ground , dig it over or maybe hire/borrow a rotavator and get things ready for next year.
Do you think I am doing the right thing , and leaving things until next year?

oldh

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 17:03 »
Welcome to the forum.
I'll move this over to Grow Your Own, where you'll get more answers :)

You still have time to clear and plant as you go along, so you should get some return for your work this year ;)

Charl89

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 17:45 »
i am still digging my new allotment over so what i did was clear areas that were really needed, eg for potatoes, carrots and onions and now whilst my seeds are going digging the rest ready. even if you clear abit at least you have some veg out of it and feel worthwhile. :)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 18:13 »
I got mine in June...and after clearing a bit of growing space I managed to get quite a bit in the first year.

It all depends on your patience.  I must admit that growing things did deter work somewhat as we had to be careful, but it was lovely taking home french beans and lettuce for tea.

If I had the choice over again then I would wait and spend the time getting it set up exactly how I wanted it in the first year.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 18:15 by peapod »
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 18:28 »
If you do decide to take your time getting it how you want, just make sure that you are obviously making steady progress and keeping on top or remaining weeds - or the powers that be might think that you're not doing enough, and write you letters ...  :(
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 18:30 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 18:50 »
Ah good point Yorkie.!
The powers that be here are pretty easy going in the first year, as long as  work being is being carried out (shed being set up, paths being out in, half price rent for the first year, that kind of thing), but not every committee/council will agree on that.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 18:59 »
here we have to be seen to be.. clearing a bit and growing a bit.
They don't like to see the plots bare.

alancas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 19:24 »
greetings,i got mine in may last year, it was completley overgrown,i strimmed to 2" from ground,(watchout for hidden obstacles) then dug up a couple of small plots,planted some peas,onions,broccoli,this gives you incentive,but the rabbits and pidgeons had most of it,so if you get to planting anything make sure it is protected or you will be disapointed,make sure you dig to get rid of all the weeds my plot was unused for years covered  with marestale (nightmare)but i have got quite a bit of stuff planted now.and its started to look ok so be lucky and happy days.

oldh

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 20:25 »
Thanks for the advice.
I think the general consensus is to clear a bit and plant it, which would give me some results when the time comes to harvest.   ;)

oldh

operabunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 20:55 »
I would ring your local council allotment people and have a chat - let them know you have a plan and are doing things properly but slightly more slowly. Usually they just need to know that you are committed. If they are any good they will understand that it is better to do things thoroughly than to rotovate and spread the weeds! They might have some good advice for your particular allotment. If they are just wanting it turned over quickly at least you will know straight away and can get it done.

xx
Newbie needs help!

Started by kea24 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 13, 2012, 18:12
by Yorkie
xx
newbie here,hi!

Started by mum of 3 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 31, 2006, 19:22
by John
xx

Started by mememe72 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 12, 2008, 19:53
by Poolfield2
xx
Help for a newbie

Started by skewball on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post November 12, 2009, 15:11
by madcat

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 35 queries.