Sweet potatoes ...

• 11 Replies

wellingtons

Sweet potatoes ...
« on: February 12, 2007, 15:36 »
... can you grow em here in the UK??  I've just been asked by a mate, and I've absolutely no idea.  Never even tried to grow em.

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
Sweet potatoes ...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 16:09 »
i seem to recall someone posting months ago about this,  i think their tip was planting them in grow bags on their sides against the green house door.........

i remember strange things tho.......

muntjac

Sweet potatoes ...
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 17:12 »
yups . one of mine  :wink:
still alive /............

hotterotter

Sweet potatoes ...
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 18:12 »
aha a question about something I've grown before, sweet potatoes need really warm soil so if you're growing them outdoors its gotta be through black plastic. You can buy sweet potato slips which are little plants but they're quite expensive. If you're careful though they can be a one-off expense as when you pinch out the growing tips of the plants you can get them to take root, then keep them alive all winter (above 15C) and next May you have a new set of slips!

In theory you can make slips by rooting the sprout on a sweet potato, but most sweet potatoes have been sprayed with an anti-sprouting hormone so they don't sprout on the way here (usually from USA) but if you get organic ones from somewhere close like Spain when they're in season (autumn) you should be able to get more than 10 plants to take root from one single potato.

mercury

Sweet potatoes ...
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 18:41 »
Quote from: "hotterotter"
aha a question about something I've grown before, sweet potatoes need really warm soil so if you're growing them outdoors its gotta be through black plastic. You can buy sweet potato slips which are little plants but they're quite expensive. If you're careful though they can be a one-off expense as when you pinch out the growing tips of the plants you can get them to take root, then keep them alive all winter (above 15C) and next May you have a new set of slips!

In theory you can make slips by rooting the sprout on a sweet potato, but most sweet potatoes have been sprayed with an anti-sprouting hormone so they don't sprout on the way here (usually from USA) but if you get organic ones from somewhere close like Spain when they're in season (autumn) you should be able to get more than 10 plants to take root from one single potato.

I'm a bit worried about the anti sprouting hormone, what will the long term affects be on us, should be some words of wisdom, from muntjac, and shaun :lol:  :lol:

Ice

• muck spreader
Sweet potatoes ...
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 20:13 »
Words of wisdom from Muntjac and Shaun!  Are you out of your tiny mind? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Cheese makes everything better.

mercury

Sweet potatoes ...
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 21:09 »
Quote from: "Ice hockey mad"
Words of wisdom from Muntjac and Shaun!  Are you out of your tiny mind? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

oh yeh, sorry, wasn't thinking :?  :?  :lol:  :lol:

shaun

Sweet potatoes ...
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 21:25 »
no comment  :lol:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

muntjac

Sweet potatoes ...
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 21:45 »
the anti sprouting hormone is fine ............. for women it affects men only , in a way i cant really describe on here . for more details of this condition im sure shaun can elaborate  :wink:

shaun

Sweet potatoes ...
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 21:47 »
no comment  :lol:

wellingtons

Gawd ...
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 10:42 »
... I think I'll stick to buying mine from the market once in a blue moon.

Trillium

Sweet potatoes ...
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 18:41 »
I'm with Hotterodder - sweet potatoes are VERY intolerant to any cool weather. Even in warmer Canada we grow them in black plastic mulch with polytunnels until the real heat sets in here, like 25C, then the tunnels come off - but go back on for any cold snaps. The vines spread quite a bit so it's a trick tucking them under tunnels again. A nuisance, but you get a nice tasty crop. Not for the fainthearted or short-of-time. My taters have been sitting in some water for a month now and will soon be producing slips. They are SLOW!

xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary
xx
Sweet Potatoes

Started by Frog on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 06, 2008, 01:31
by Eristic
xx
Sweet Potatoes

Started by dickp on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 17:09
by tode
xx
sweet potatoes

Started by Sparkyrog on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 27, 2015, 10:44
by Sparkyrog

Page created in 0.389 seconds with 39 queries.