have you ordered all your seeds

• 46 Replies

rowlandwells

have you ordered all your seeds
« on: December 01, 2020, 17:35 »
have you ordered all your next seasons seeds yet if so and have you gone for some new varieties to try next year hopefully I've ordered all my seed I need but I'm still  looking through the catalogues as you do  :D the wife said no more seeds >:(

and do you do an allotment plan for planting next year I'm thinking on the lines of crop rotation that i think is most important for our next years planting schemes

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: have you ordered all your seeds
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 17:48 »
Yes, I have all my seeds, except for sweetcorn that is on back order, I expect that to come from Marshalls, with some potatoes I ordered, ages ago.
With everything that's going on this year, I thought it would be better to order early to make sure I got what I wanted.
Yes, I do a rotation plan on my laptop, but it isn't always strictly followed, if I'm honest.
It usually gets to the stage that I'm bunging stuff in wherever there's a gap  :lol: :lol:

jambop

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 17:57 »
Not got them all yet. I order my seeds from premier seeds although I could buy them locally. I just like their service even though I have to pay for postage it is not too much and cheaper than at a GC .
I still have one or two things some herbs and maybe some new Parsnips. But in praise of PS I ordered 9 different packs of seeds  three of which were F1's and the lot including P&P was £10.99 contrast that with one packet of Guernsey parsnip seed I bought at the local GC last year ... €3.75
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 18:06 by jambop »

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 20:31 »
Not got them all yet. I order my seeds from premier seeds although I could buy them locally. I just like their service even though I have to pay for postage it is not too much and cheaper than at a GC .
I still have one or two things some herbs and maybe some new Parsnips. But in praise of PS I ordered 9 different packs of seeds  three of which were F1's and the lot including P&P was £10.99 contrast that with one packet of Guernsey parsnip seed I bought at the local GC last year ... €3.75
Difficult to beat Premier-Seeds-Direct  for price or quality , have used them for a few years now.

Think i have my seed needs covered and with a bit of luck i will get a compost delivery tomorrow ! :)
I was lucky to get last years supply just before lockdown and am taking no chances this time.

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 21:01 »
Hi,
All sorted except for spuds, have gone from 1 to 3 plots this year but even so have gone a bit overboard as have loads. First time orders from Real Seeds, DT Brown, King Seed plus bought a book from this site and KG subscription both which had free seeds with them. Think I have enough for a couple of years, will be trying lots of new veg, melons, watercress, popping sweetcorn, chillies and red onions to name a few, plus more herbs. Also some Sarah Raven flower seeds which were a gift for new cutting patch.
I've done a plan based on starting crop rotation but as most of the plots weren't used this year, too over grown and had to clear the original plot. I'm not going to be too fussy. KG have a free sowing planner in this months edition which will be going on the garage wall to keep me on track.
Liking the addition of the snowfall on the site

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 05:26 »
Mrs Growster and I have a sort of ritual each year, where we make a list, then pop out to our favourite GC for a chat and a collection.

This year was different, but our friend there just called by after a phone call, 'whooo-hoooed' over the gate, left them in a carrier bag and we chatted as normal at exactly 6'8" distance! They then set up a 'click and collect' operation, and our chum tipped me off when the next lot was coming in, and everyone in the village got what they wanted!

We just feel that all these small businesses need every bit of trade they can get, and it's not as if we're buying more than a dozen packets anyway!

(It wouldn't have been like that when we had the allotment, as the arguments about such delicacies as salsify or PSB would have meant an international summit meeting, quotes from Marshalls etc., and a check on the overdraft facility...)!

GraciesGran

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 07:10 »
Ordered via the allotment society, you get a 20% discount.  Ordered some seed potatoes from them as well.  Want to order some of those purple flesh potatoes to freak out my grandchildren.  Husband wants to try some Kalletes so I've ordered a packet of seed.  Also contemplating asparagus but  not sure.  Have a plan for next year but like all good plans it is open to change.

Debz

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 08:02 »
I've ordered some of my seeds but not all.  I do a crop rotation on my first half plot.  I only took over my second half last year but it's likely to be for the crops that I couldn't fit into the first half.  although the rotation won't be as strict, there will definitely be something in place.  I still need to get sweetcorn and probably some other pumpkin / squash.

al78

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 10:22 »
Are you supposed to do that now? I normally get seeds around late winter/early spring, or sow the ones I bought last year. There is a seed swap around late winter/early spring where I can look for seeds. I'm wondering if it is possible to order seed potatoes around new year because I want to try starting off earlies in the greenhouse in early February.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2020, 10:43 »
If you leave ordering potatoes until new year, some varieties may be sold out. If you know what you want, I'd order them asap. They don't usually get delivered until January even if you order them now.

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2020, 16:53 »
Everything ordered and just waiting for them to arrive. Ridiculously early for me but I don't want to get caught out if the grow your own craze is still around.

And it kept me occupied for an evening.  :nowink:

A new variety I'm trying is the tomato Honeycomb. It's a new sungold type which apparently has less splitting. I spotted it in a catalogue and while searching for the cheapest supplier I found this video that mentions it!

https://www.allotment-garden.org/garden-diary/7010/a-video-on-new-varieties-coming-soon/

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2020, 17:13 »
Have I ordered all my seeds - in theory yes, but you know how it goes  :blush: 

I did a stocktake and checked I had enough newish seeds for everything and ordered new supplies or replacements for what failed that test.  I have seed spuds on order and a stash of compost and fertilisers just in case it is all still a bit mad next year. 

Somehow, I keep finding myself looking at seed sites though  ???  I have resisted so far .... but .....

jambop

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2020, 17:35 »
I went out into my workshop the other day with a view to being ruthless with my seed collection and throwing anything that was not in date away... I did throw some out but still retained quite a few on the well they germinated this spring rule  :lol: stupid I know but I can do and early sowing with them nothing to lose if the have had it ... into the bin... which was what I was going to do in the first place... but never say never  :lol:

Christine

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2020, 07:02 »
Think I might need to order another allotment looking at my seed box.  :lol:

xx
So who has ordered their seeds then?

Started by kooringa on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post August 22, 2009, 23:22
by John
xx
Anyone ordered their seeds yet?

Started by southwells farm on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post January 07, 2010, 16:23
by taurus1530
xx
Yipppeee mum has just ordered me

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 12, 2008, 19:51
by Parsnip
xx
Have you ordered your seed spuds yet?

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

48 Replies
Last post January 28, 2018, 09:09
by hasbeans

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 56 queries.