Moving ancient fruit bushes - any tips

• 18 Replies

simonwatson

Re: Moving ancient fruit bushes - any tips
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 08:04 »
I moved some very old redcurrant bushes last winter. I used a mattock to dig them up taking a root ball about two feet across and eighteen inches deep. The mattock is great to dig under as you can swing it at an angle to undercut the plant. The hole they went into was prepared with some manure and bonemeal. Lots of watering for a month or two afterwards. They've taken quite well and produced some fruit and growth this year, though not as good as last year. Not really a surprise and I think they'll do much better next year. I didn't give them a severe pruning or anything like that, just pruned them as per normal. Good luck.

crh75

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 17:04 »
When I transplanted some old red currents I simple dug them up in the winter and, as they had bindweed mixed in, knocked off all the earth.  Each bush split into 4 or 5 separate plants which transplanted with no problem.  The first year they produced some fruit and lost their leaves quite early in autumn (maybe even late summer) but every year since they have produced hugh quantities of berries.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 18:43 »
We had a good look today - her £$%^&*@! jobbing gardener has pruned off most of the branches that would have borne fruit this year on the blackcurrants, and the gooseberries are a bit of a mess - he likes things in a ball shape and doesn't listen to my Mum, who pays him...

The upshot being that there is little fruit on bushes that would normally be creaking with berries. And new shoots have been rigorously removed.

Anyways, we are going ahead with moving the bushes in Autumn, and will see whether any have a logical split when they come up.

Good tip about the mattock Simon, I'll borrow one for the job.  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 20:47 »
The main things to bear in mind are:

1. Prepare the planting hole first, decent size and with manure (or compost) / fertiliser as well.
2. Take as big a rootball as possible, and wrap it well to minimise the roots drying out through contact with the air.
3. Water faithfully for the year after planting in the new location.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
moving gooseberry bushes - any tips?

Started by Jo Loves Veg on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 14, 2013, 21:40
by Jo Loves Veg
xx
Moving fruit bushes

Started by ches on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 15, 2019, 15:42
by Goosegirl
xx
Moving fruit bushes

Started by aubergine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 22:16
by aubergine
xx
Moving fruit bushes

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 24, 2016, 10:20
by Trikidiki

Page created in 0.419 seconds with 35 queries.