Linkabord Raised Beds 600 mm high: advice on structural support please

• 4 Replies

PuppyBelle

Hello from a new member in Ely, Cambs. After several years of bending & crouching over my 5m x 2m plot at home I'm going RB & want to use recycled plastic material. I've found Linkabord among the best (not cheap by any means, but not ridiculous compared to others, and there's a 10% off code from this site ... ) BUT they advise no more than 3 kits high ie 45 cm. I'd really like 60 cm high.
I quote from an email response: "We recommend the maximum height of 45cm purely for structural strength - anything over this may not withstand the weight of the soil for a long period of time."
So my question is - what might I do to reinforce it? I cannot drive nails thru as that will destroy the double-skin. What about using plastic posts on either side of the bed wall with a cross bar anchoring them, doing this every 1 m? Or re-bars? Any more aesthetic solutions? Has anyone had experience of 60 cm high Linkabord beds & if so how has it stood the test of time? The bed will be 3m x 1m. I may be able to fit in a smaller one too. All responses gratefully received!

Veg Plot 1B

• Experienced Member
Not used these but think aloud how about lowering the path between.
Perhaps angle the soil near the beds and put the dug out soil in the beds.
Put some cardboard on the path and cover with chippings to keep weeds away.

cc

• Experienced Member
Hello from a new member in Ely, Cambs. After several years of bending & crouching over my 5m x 2m plot at home I'm going RB & want to use recycled plastic material. I've found Linkabord among the best (not cheap by any means, but not ridiculous compared to others, and there's a 10% off code from this site ... ) BUT they advise no more than 3 kits high ie 45 cm. I'd really like 60 cm high.
I quote from an email response: "We recommend the maximum height of 45cm purely for structural strength - anything over this may not withstand the weight of the soil for a long period of time."
So my question is - what might I do to reinforce it? I cannot drive nails thru as that will destroy the double-skin. What about using plastic posts on either side of the bed wall with a cross bar anchoring them, doing this every 1 m? Or re-bars? Any more aesthetic solutions? Has anyone had experience of 60 cm high Linkabord beds & if so how has it stood the test of time? The bed will be 3m x 1m. I may be able to fit in a smaller one too. All responses gratefully received!
I would disagree the price is excellent 1 metre x 3 metres x .6metres is £189.50.   Wood won't last. Have you thought of raising it up. Breeze blocks, bricks or concrete wall as in footings but don't stop at ground level. PS coupon please.
 PS it says 60cm on the site.
https://www.linkabord.co.uk/product/60cm-high-raised-bed-kit-available-in-all-6-colours-and-all-sizes/
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 15:02 by cc »

cc

• Experienced Member

Lardman

I must be getting old, I think that's a horrific cost for a couple of lengths of plastic,have you thought about something like gabbion cubes. Either for the project entirely or for a foundation to raise the linkboard beds ups.

xx
Raised beds - how high?

Started by moggy on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2008, 13:31
by moggy
xx
Advice on starting on raised beds

Started by Jaybees on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post July 09, 2021, 21:33
by Jaybees
xx
Advice about v. quick and basic raised beds

Started by littlelisa on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post May 09, 2008, 18:47
by SalJ1980
clip
Linkabord Clips

Started by brownp on Design and Construction

0 Replies
Last post May 23, 2015, 19:26
by brownp

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 36 queries.