Gardening assistants

• 5 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Gardening assistants
« on: June 24, 2018, 20:41 »
Mine are a varied bunch.  OH is dangerous near anything you want to keep, but handy if you want it razed to bare earth.  Anything from 'light prune' to 'cut it back' seems to translate into 'Exterminate, exterminate' in his brain  :wacko:

The rest ... well the Beak and Feather division are happy to lose any unwanted plant material.  Here they are busy on outer leaves from cabbage and a couple of bolted Little Gem donated by a fellow plot holder.  Let them loose when you are gardening and 'help' usually involves you tripping over them and dodging beaks as they spot something you have dug up that they want to eat.

The Fur and Claw division is even more erratic help wise, unless you class laying on the garden table lazily watching or water testing as useful  :lol:  Any complaints that plants are wilting while you wait for the watering can to be released are met with withering scorn, the like of which no normal mortal can be expected to withstand   ::)  :lol:
IMG_2542.JPG
IMG_2538.JPG
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 20:42 by New shoot »

Elaine G

Re: Gardening assistants
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 22:11 »
No fur or feathers here but I too am married to an exterminator  :lol:
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 03:45 »
Haha, my OH is only allowed the swoe on bare beds as nothing is safe. As I’ve still got my late mother’s cats they’re using the whole garden as a giant litter tray now that I’ve applied a thick layer of well rotted manure over it in my quest to go no dig, but they obviously don’t understand the principles of it as they keep digging as do the blackbirds at the plot
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

madcat

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 09:14 »
Blackbirds are great home maintenance assistants too - great at slinging all the gubbins out of the gutters, which clears them in a way!   ::)  Getting them to sweep up after is a bit trickier!
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 09:49 »
We have a clear division of labour on our plots, that mainly involves Mr Sunny building or making things, cutting the grass along the verges … and watering, when we start to get into the realms of disagreement. He insists on using a fine mist spray and wetting everything, whereas I much prefer to soak the soil, with just the hose and no rose, if you see what I mean. Digging is not too bad, if you want weeds buried that is, digging up potatoes leads to mulitple casualties in the veg box department, usually involving the biggest ones of course

Anything else is carefully modelled for him and surreptitiously supervised: planting onion sets and planting out leeks was successfully accomplished last season.  Oh, he can pick strawberries and cut off courgettes from the plant now rather then screw them round and round and rip the plant in half, an is a dab hand at sawing thick branches when I have marked where to cut.

Most days I'd not swap him, he just learns slowly year on year so by the time I am too old and knackered he'll be able to cope.... unless he is too old and knackered by then too of course  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 11:28 »

Reading about all your "helpers" has really made me laugh.   You may get frustrated, but believe me when you haven't got anybody to saw the the bigger branches and dig the big holes, that can be frustrating as well.
I either knacker myself with the effort, or have to pay a "gardener" !!!!!! to come and do it for me. I used to look at stuff darling OH had done, ie:  build a wall, and then i'd say, oh no sorry thats not straight, he'd reply, but I eyeballed it !! and then take it down and start again with a spirit level  ::) ::) But he never grumbled about any of it, just looked resigned. He was always very laid- back   8) 8) 8) 8) regards Mrs Bouquet

Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

xx
Gettin' on a bit - but still gardening!

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

38 Replies
Last post August 30, 2019, 01:45
by dugless
xx
Gardening serendipity

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2019, 21:46
by mumofstig
xx
Indoor gardening

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post January 11, 2024, 16:46
by wighty
xx
Fantasy gardening

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

16 Replies
Last post October 31, 2020, 17:03
by wighty

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 39 queries.