Rhubarb - poor crop

• 10 Replies

Sheena

• Experienced Member
Rhubarb - poor crop
« on: May 12, 2007, 08:35 »
We have inherited some rhubarb on our allotment that we got last year.

Last year we had a good crop, so far this year the stalks look pretty slim and not as good as before. I can't actually remember when we picked the rhubarb last year but I know that others have been picking rhubarb for weeks now.

I should also say that the rhubarb probably needs thinned out and isn't in a bed as such but it just doing it's own thing (or not :( ) at the top of the allotment in amongst all the weeds.

Should I just pick what I have or wait a few more weeks?
What say ye?
Organic :)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Rhubarb - poor crop
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 08:59 »
It probably needs a good feed of well rotted manure, Don't harvest to much this  year and feed really well, the more muck the better. try and remove the weeds as it's all competition for your rhubarb. Mines in the same state so I'm not touching it this year, but I've planted more at the other end of the plot on cleaner ground.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Sheena

• Experienced Member
Rhubarb - poor crop
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 09:08 »
Thanks Richy,

When is the best time to divide or move the crowns? I really need to move them or at least dig them up in order to remove the bindweed and couch grass.

WG.

Rhubarb - poor crop
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 09:53 »
I agree with RR.  Rhubarb is a heavy feeder.

Divide crowns in autumn (or early spring).  Give divided crowns 3ft spacing each way.

I'd be tempted to try mulching out some of the couch/bindweed before you divide.    Put down 2 or 3 layers of cardboard boxes right up to the edges of the crowns - mulch heavily with rotted manure to hold in place.  Might save you moving some/all of them.

WG.

Rhubarb - poor crop
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 10:17 »
Quote from: "google"
Rhubarb can propagated by planting pieces obtained by dividing the crown. Pieces are taken from 4-5 year old crowns. You can divide earlier if you desire more plants. Dividing can be done either in the spring or the fall with equal success, but I have found early spring is best. I wait until early growth is just starting so I can see where to best divide the root mass. Dig up the crowns and roots being careful not to damage the crown. Cut the roots into 4 to 8 pieces. It is recommended to split dormant crowns between large buds or "eyes" so that at least a 2-inch cross section of storage root is left with each bud. Be careful of is not to break off the delicate buds which are easily broken, but otherwise the roots are quite tough and will tolerate quite a bit of rough handling. Very small buds will give small plants for the first few years after planting, while four to ten new roots can usually be obtained from crowns that have been grown a few years. Root pieces should be protected from drying or freezing if they are not to be planted immediately. When dividing crowns for re-planting, it is important to mark the vigorous plants in June and use them as planting stock the following spring. Crowns should not be divided from diseased plants.

Trillium

Rhubarb - poor crop
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 14:38 »
Glad you put the Google info up, WG, because if it were me, I'd be cleaning up and moving the rhubarb now. Since there's no cropping this year, it's okay to move and let the roots develop in better soil and muck for the oncoming growing season, and next spring's harvest should be pretty good.   :wink:

WG.

Rhubarb - poor crop
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 14:52 »
Fair comment Trillium but I thought perhaps Sheena might have enough crowns to leave some of them in place - thereby giving her some rhubarb this year.  :D

Trillium

Rhubarb - poor crop
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 15:04 »
Her rhubarb could still handle some small cropping this year - as she slowly moves it into a better place. The new, enriched soil would encourage loads more leafing this year to replace what she harvested, but overall, it won't be a lot from what she describes. Like peonies, rhubarb is almost impossible to kill.

David.

Rhubarb - poor crop
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 15:20 »
I've been shifting mine around and rescuing some fro disused plots before the are overgrown by brambles.

Moving in Autumn to a prepared bed, heavily mulching with well rotted horse poo and protecting with straw has made a tremendous difference.

Doing the same in Spring seems to lose a years cropping.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Rhubarb - poor crop
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 15:55 »
When next door's gave me 11lbs of rhubarb last week, he said they don't want any of it.  It has been at the bottom of their garden for years, on the edge of the dyke, it never has anything put on it, and isn't very often used, but it is very early cropping and is HUGE!!!!!!  Some of the stalks are over 2ft long!!!!!

WG.

Rhubarb - poor crop
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 17:11 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
When next door's gave me 11lbs of rhubarb last week, he said they don't want any of it.  It has been at the bottom of their garden for years, on the edge of the dyke, it never has anything put on it, and isn't very often used, but it is very early cropping and is HUGE!!!!!!  Some of the stalks are over 2ft long!!!!!

That'll be because it is planted on top of the soakaway from his septic tank  :wink:    Enjoy your crumble GA :!:  :wink:  :wink:

xx
Poor crop

Started by WendysLot on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 19, 2012, 12:49
by WendysLot
xx
Poor potato crop

Started by SimonH on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 06, 2021, 14:18
by mumofstig
xx
Poor crop of Tayberries

Started by BrenSouthYorks on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 15, 2020, 20:08
by BrenSouthYorks
xx
I have had a really poor crop of strawberries.

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 15:06
by digalotty

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 32 queries.