parish borough alloments

• 6 Replies

peapod

• Pea Goddess
parish borough alloments
« on: May 25, 2008, 14:49 »
a quick question before a phone call bothers a poor bloke on a peaceful sunday afternoon

Do I need to live in a parish before I can put my name down for an allotment site there?

thanks all
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Lynne

parish borough alloments
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 15:49 »
Not necessarily. My allotment is in a neighbouring parish but there aren't any in mine anyway. I know of someone at my site who lives in a different county.
Lynne.

So much to do, but so little time.

lincspoacher

parish borough alloments
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 17:04 »
but if you use more in fuel going back and forth than it would have cost buying the produce from the supermarket, does make it a bit of a pointless exercise, surely ?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
parish borough alloments
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 17:11 »
Quote from: "lincspoacher"
but if you use more in fuel going back and forth than it would have cost buying the produce from the supermarket, does make it a bit of a pointless exercise, surely ?

Depends on your location, there are allotments nearer to me in an adjoining parish, than my own plot. I cycle there anyway.

We are also not taking into account, quality, freshness, taste & the fact that you know what's been put on the produce.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
parish borough alloments
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 17:18 »
thanks for the replies
I know what you are saying lincs, so Ive thought about it a bit since I posted, the site is 5 miles away, though I do have a friend local to there who could water etc for me if I couldnt get up
Im still waiting to hear from my local council lotty officer, he emailed me 3 weeks ago to say that warning letters have gone out, so I may be allocated one soon nearer to me anyway
It was just a thought, that if I have to wait any longer (ive been waiting over a year now) then the one further away is an option
I dont just use the beds I have got for growing veg to save money, its fantastic relaxation and a way to spend time with my thoughts away from the stresses and strains of life :-) So there are other reasons for me personally to have a plot

I went on a bit there sorry!!
Paula

Caddi fuller-teabags

• Experienced Member
parish borough alloments
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 18:40 »
Many of our allotmenteers use cars to get to them, as we do.  If I walked to mine I would be buggered before I start.  When I can afford to get my bike fixed I will possibly cycle.

Living in a flat without a garden it is the only chance i have of growing fruit, veg or flowers.  

I go to the plot for so many other reasons than to harvest food.  I just love being there.
I get my kicks on Plot 66!

lincspoacher

parish borough alloments
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 19:21 »
Well yes, i suppose so, all good points.

Comes from being a logical virgo...........

xx
Letter to Parish Council advice please

Started by drypulse on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 19, 2012, 15:31
by Salmo
xx
Parish Council handbook on running allotments from 1951

Started by BAK on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 05, 2009, 19:14
by horsepooisgood

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 35 queries.