fox attack

• 12 Replies

craig1981

• Experienced Member
fox attack
« on: September 26, 2011, 11:10 »
We all know on here fox attacks are always a threat but i want to make everyone aware that no matter how safe you think your chooks are please double check as i lost my total flock last night .

Ive had chickens for nearly 3 years and as far as i know not had a single visit from mr fox so i assumed either there wasnt any around here or my run was safe but on visiting the hens this morning i found 5 bodies all with no heads and feathers everywhere .

If you do one thing today please make sure its just a little check on the security of the run as i dont want any one feeling the way i do right now

NormandyMary

Re: fox attack
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 11:37 »
Oh my goodness, how absolutely terrible for you. My sincere sympathies. Too many of us know the devastation that foxes can cause to our girls and boys, Ive had more than my fair share of losses over the years, the drawback of living in the countryside. The next fox that tries to get into our new pen will get much more than he bargained for. A shot of leccy up the bum!!
You must be feeling totally gutted Craig. Im sure we are all thinking of you and send you our very best wishes.

Mary.

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 11:38 »
Oh Craig, how horrid for you.  :(
Thank you for the timely warning when you must be feeling shell shocked.  
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

helens-hens

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 14:06 »
Really sorry to hear your terrible news  :(. As you say it is very easy to start to relax a bit if you haven't had a visit (I have been known to be guilt of this).

Have you identified how the fox got in to hopefully avoid a future attack if you decide to get more girls?
Helen

evie2

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 14:36 »
What a terrible shock for you Craig, having been on the receiving end of a fox attack I know how you feel  :(
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Peckster

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 16:01 »
Im so sorry to hear that craig. I too lost my first ever 6 hens 2 years ago. Id gone out for 2 hrs between 11am and 1pm and left them free ranging only to return home to a sight I will never forget! I feel for you at this sad time.

craig1981

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 16:19 »
thanks folks it really was very distressing . I have found point of entry which was a fence panel that had come loose in the neighbours fence slightly above ground level therefore beating my dug in wire skirt . its obviously its that point as theres a trail of feathers then leading behind there shed  :(

Im going to put restocking on hold for a while and maybe go down the rescue hen route after holidays and Christmas are out of the way

thanks again for all your kind words

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 17:29 »
I'm really sory to hear that Craig - if I recall, your run was a very secure one - just goes to show we have to keep checking our boundaries to make sure nothing's gone wrong. :(

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 17:41 »
Ahhh Craig, I had it happen to me last week, but mine free range, so it was only a matter of time really. It comes as such a shock doesnt it. Made me want to go on a fox slaying rampage, but instead, I just spend my days worrying what I'll find when I get home. Hope it doesnt put you off having some more. I feel for you mate :( xx
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

RigsVilleBird

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 20:13 »
how very sad.   :(
 thinking of you.x

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 20:42 »
So sorry for your loss Craig.  Thank you for the warning, will be extra vigilant.  One of our neighbours had a visit from a fox a few months ago.  Two of his hens were killed and another two went into shock and died overnight.  His set up is not very secure so I think it went for the easy kill.  The fox did not get away with a meal as the hens alarm calls brought him out straight away.  Such a waste.   :(

Let us all know when you get your new flock.  We are all thinking of you and sending you comforting hugs.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Peckster

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 21:30 »
Very good idea craig to wait for a while before getting some more hens as that fox WILL be back. I help out at bhwt rescues and we advise people to leave it at least 3 months before getting any more hens. The fox will now be back and he needs to be taught that there are no more hens around so hes wasting his time coming around!

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 08:02 »
so sorry for you craig. have seen the devastation first hand so know how you feel.

thank you for the timely reminder - even through your grief.

thinking of you
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

sad
Dog attack

Started by judrop on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 15:42
by Hayley'sHens
xx
Fox attack

Started by geri on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 15:34
by 8doubles
xx
Cat attack?

Started by little brown hen on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2012, 06:48
by little brown hen
xx
Fox attack?

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 19, 2015, 08:31
by Sassy

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 35 queries.