Saturday job.

• 6 Replies

Goosegirl

Saturday job.
« on: September 23, 2023, 10:01 »
Did you ever have a Saturday job? Mine was in Littlewoods on the stockings counter. They were in those cellophane bags and different sizes and colours were separated by glass shelves. One day they introduced the stretchy ones and I had so many people returning them saying they were too small that I had to wear a pair and demonstrate them. I remember their canteen which always smelled of engine oil. One day I'd got a cream meringue and it fell off my plate, landed on the floor, and not a break or crack could be seen!  :ohmy: :lol: I got paid £2 for the whole day.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

snowdrops

Re: Saturday job.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2023, 11:14 »
I had a couple, first I think was in a store in town that sold kitchens & bathrooms & plumbing fixtures, I ended up  upstairs in the kitchen & bathroom showroom & it was really boring, hardly anyone came in & off course they weren’t really interested in what a 16 year old girl knew about the products. Then I worked in a frozen food shop plus Thursday evenings, that was a bit better, certainly busier & customers. I also used to babysit for a Dr & his family & ended up doing all day Saturday at one point- that was the most lucrative as the mum was extremely extravagant, we’d go to town, she’d forge his signature on cheques, buy loads of clothes, often same item in all colours, get them home, cut off the sewn in labels & then not like them, if they fitted or I liked them I got them on top of my money  :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

GraciesGran

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2023, 07:39 »
Worked in a greengrocers on Saturday and quite frequently babysat for one of our customers. They used to let me stay overnight because they were always so late back,the guest bedroom had an ensuite, this was the early 1970s  so an unknown luxury.  My three also had Saturday jobs, granddaughter just started work in a supermarket, she treated her mum and dad to coffee when they were out the other day. 

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2023, 12:12 »
During the Spring and Summer holidays, I'd work at the Guinness hop farms at Bodiam. Before picking started, I'd be checking for verticillium wilt, and writing up the affected gardens, and during the long Summer hol, when I was much younger, I'd be working either on their mobile radio base set, taking the calls and sending info etc., (a bit like a forces radio network), or, eventually, fitter's mate on the several big machines we had all over the village and beyond!

All in all, it was great fun, especially on the machines around now!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 06:11 by Growster... »

wighty

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2023, 18:06 »
Too busy with  my horse to have a Saturday job, but when I wanted to move up a Grade in showing, my parents said I had to help out, so I was a Saturday assistant at Parslows Bakeries.  The main bakery was in Southampton and the delivery arrived at the shop in Fleet at    7.30am.  I had to be there with a 'senior' staff member to check it in!  (This was aged 16).  I worked there for two years, covering during the week in the summer for full time, part time staff, on holiday.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2023, 08:48 »
I've just remembered another one I had which was in a hotel in Morecambe where I had to clean the visitors' rooms. The first time I left a load of dried Ajax powder on the wash basins and got told off. Lunch was soup made from powder with a slice of bread and margarine. I quite enjoyed it until my dad stepped in and said I wasn't being paid enough and put a stop to it.

MrsPea

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2023, 18:46 »
 My very first job was collecting eggs at the weekend there was 2 big barns with a hundred chicken in, they were in deep litter. I can not remember how much i got, i also had horses to look after my very first one cost my dad £25  :D HAPPY DAYS
I Love my green house

xx
I'm doing a Skydive Saturday for Chariety

Started by MrsPea on Chatting on the Plot

24 Replies
Last post September 17, 2023, 12:04
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 36 queries.