Vaccinated new hen has given my flock a respiratory illness, what can I do?

• 13 Replies

Mercedes55

My husband picked up a Bluebell hen last weekend from a breeder.  We were told it was fully vaccinated and would be fine to put in with our existing flock of ex batts, pure breeds and hybrids.  We only put the hen in with our others for 2 nights but kept her separate in the day with 2 other hens we had bought from the same place. However by Monday it was obvious the Bluebell hen was sick as it had nasal discharge, was all fluffed up and just not well at all.

My husband took the hen back the next day and also returned  the 2 other hens we had bought from the same place as we were worried they could all have something wrong with them.  We had hoped we had returned them before our own hens could have caught anything, however 3 of our pure breeds have now got sick and our vet seems to think it's not Myco as we first suspected but something called Fowl Coryza.  

We are very concerned at how this is going to affect our flock as one of girls is very ill.  Also very unsure what to do about the place we bought the hen from as she was just pulled out of a pen of about 30 other Bluebells and when we returned the 3 girls it was made clear that they would be treated, but it seems this is not a condition that is easily treated.  So in theory this place could be selling hens to people who think they are getting healthy hens and could be bringing a nasty illness into their flocks and losing girls.

I might add that we didn't even get all the money back that we paid for the hens and despite emailing them I have heard nothing.  When my husband did manage to speak to someone there they said the hen we returned was treated with Baytril and is now fine and they have never heard of Coryza and they have basically washed their hands of it.

I know it's possible for stress to bring out illnesses in existing flocks, but this is not the first time we have bought new hens and we have never had a problem with any of our hens getting sick before this, so I don't think it's from some underlying problem that they had.

I am just very upset and wish there was something I could do to make my girls well  :(

Modified by moderator to remove breeder and location - Casey76
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 17:32 by Casey76 »

bantam novice

Hello Mercedes55 and welcome to the forum though I am sorry it is for such a sad reason.  I really don't think there is much you can do about recovering your money except through legal means such as the county court.

We have always been advised on this forum to keep new chickens separate but in view of the existing flock for at least two weeks.  This is for the very reason that they could be carrying something nasty that they could pass to the existing flock. 

You must be feeling so gutted about it.  Unfortunately I have no advice about what you can do next except to say don't use that supplier again, which I am sure I don't need to say anyway. 

Someone more experienced may be able to advise you about your current flock.  I think one possibility is to isolate the birds that seem to be unwell and try to contain the outbreak.  It sounds as if your vet has made a definite diagnosis and can advise about treatment.

In the meantime I can see that it is really upsetting for you.  I am sure your hens are all well cared for.  Good luck and keep us posted.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Casey76

Hi Mercedes, I'm sorry that you've experienced problems with your new pullet.

Contrary to belief it is not OK to add vaccinated birds to a flock of unvaccinated birds, as the vaccinated ones may shed live virus and so spread disease to your unvaccinated birds.

However it is also unlikely that the new pullet would have been vaccinated for everything.  I'd imagine that small scale breeders (i.e. those who don't breed 1000's at a time) would vaccinate for Newcastles Disease, Infecitous Bronchitis, Mareks and Salmonella; for diseases such as coryza ane MG is it just not financially viable to vaccinate a small flock (e.g. the MG vaccine costs several hundred pounds for one 1000 dose vial, and it has to be used all at once, so unless you have a flock of 1000 chickens, then it is going to push your overheads up too high to be viable).

No matter what, whenever you introduce new birds they should ALWAYS be quarantined, because not only could they be carrying disease, but the could also be carrying lice or other nasties, and no matter how good the breeder, lice can always be a problem unfortunately.

Here is some information on IC
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/poultrynews/21551/infectious-coryza-found-in-hobby-flocks

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/82/infectious-coryza

So, I would ask your vet to take swabs and confirm IC, then you can either keep a closed flock (i.e. bring in no more new brids) or cull the flock, rest the ground and start from scratch.

Sorry it isn't better news :(

Mercedes55

Hi Mercedes, I'm sorry that you've experienced problems with your new pullet.

Contrary to belief it is not OK to add vaccinated birds to a flock of unvaccinated birds, as the vaccinated ones may shed live virus and so spread disease to your unvaccinated birds.

However it is also unlikely that the new pullet would have been vaccinated for everything.  I'd imagine that small scale breeders (i.e. those who don't breed 1000's at a time) would vaccinate for Newcastles Disease, Infecitous Bronchitis, Mareks and Salmonella; for diseases such as coryza ane MG is it just not financially viable to vaccinate a small flock (e.g. the MG vaccine costs several hundred pounds for one 1000 dose vial, and it has to be used all at once, so unless you have a flock of 1000 chickens, then it is going to push your overheads up too high to be viable).

No matter what, whenever you introduce new birds they should ALWAYS be quarantined, because not only could they be carrying disease, but the could also be carrying lice or other nasties, and no matter how good the breeder, lice can always be a problem unfortunately.

Here is some information on IC
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/poultrynews/21551/infectious-coryza-found-in-hobby-flocks

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/82/infectious-coryza

So, I would ask your vet to take swabs and confirm IC, then you can either keep a closed flock (i.e. bring in no more new brids) or cull the flock, rest the ground and start from scratch.

Sorry it isn't better news :(

All our girls are supposed to be fully vaccinated according to all the paperwork we have, even the pure breeds.  Here is the list of what they are supposed to have had.

1 day   Mareks Disease
7 days   Salmonella
21 days   Newcastles Disease
24 days   Gumboro (Infectious Bursal Disease)
35 days   Gumboro (Infectious Bursal Disease)
42 days   Infectious Bronchitis
45 days   Salmonella
49 days   Mycoplasma
56 days   Infectious Bronchitis Variants
77 days   Avian Encephalomyelitis
80 days   Infectious Bronchitis Variants
105 days   Mycoplasma
112 days   Infectious Bronchitis, Newcastles Disease, Avian Rhinotracheitis & Egg drop syndrome

I wouldn't even contemplate culling them and starting again as that just seems cruel to the girls I still have.  I just hope they all survive this.  Our vet has said there is no way of testing for Coryza whilst the hens are still alive, so we have them all on Tylan at the moment.

I just hope no one else goes to the same place to buy any hens as they may well be buying into the same problem.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 19:02 by Mercedes55 »

Ice

• muck spreader
I just hope no one else goes to the same place to buy any hens as they may well be buying into the same problem.
And then again they might not.  They might have a string of happy customers and you are the only one with a problem.  You have an issue with the breeder which you cannot sort out on an open forum.  There are two sides to every story and we only have yours.

We can support and suggest things to do, but try to resist the urge to  name them as it could result in a ban.  The people on this site are extremely knowledgable and friendly and are a great resource for the hen keeper.
Cheese makes everything better.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
sorry for your problems but can only re-iterate what has been said by the others and also to remind everybody to please quarantine new birds - fist of all away from your birds then after a couple of weeks gradually move them together. Illnesses can take several weeks to show  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Is 5m away far enough,please?

(Asking on behalf of others -- I don't have any chooks)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

joyfull

so long as they cant get within that distance you should be fine  :).

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
so long as they cant get within that distance you should be fine  :).

No they can't. The new girls are corralled at one end of the 25m enclosure, and the others currently use a section in the middle, with a gap of about 5m between their fences.  (The end is being 'rested)

Thank you very much. I was a bit worried  that there might be a probelm in the making.

Mercedes55

And then again they might not.  They might have a string of happy customers and you are the only one with a problem.  You have an issue with the breeder which you cannot sort out on an open forum.  There are two sides to every story and we only have yours.

We can support and suggest things to do, but try to resist the urge to  name them as it could result in a ban.  The people on this site are extremely knowledgable and friendly and are a great resource for the hen keeper.

I do apologise for naming the supplier and will not name them again, but I do know I am not the only person with a problem, which is what makes me angry with myself.  Someone on another forum I go to lost 2 hens within 2wks of buying them from the same place.  Another person on yet a different forum bought a hen that was sick with something within a week, but did recover.

We bought some of our other hybrid hens from a place in Hertfordshire where I have to say the way they raised their hens was brilliant and I just wish they had sold Bluebells as I would have gone back there in a shot.  

Like many people who keep hens in their back garden we just don't have any space for a quarantine area.  Our current WIR is 24ft long and takes up a lot of our garden.  As most virus's are airborne I would imagine it's quite difficult to stop a virulent virus from spreading unless you changed all your shoes and clothes everytime you went from one to the other, assuming of course that you have space for this of course.

This morning 3 of our girls are still very ill and it breaks my heart to see them so sick.  The worst affected one we did bring into the house last night to try and get her to eat and drink, but had to syringe fluids into her  :(
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 07:13 by Mercedes55 »

joyfull

vaccinating a bird also is no guarantee that they won't get the illness, it just means they won't get it so bad. If it is a live vaccine this can infect your other birds. Some vaccines (Mareks) also have to be given within a short time of the vaccine being opened otherwise it is useless.
Did the breeder give you the vaccine numbers - they should keep records of the dates, phial numbers etc for each vaccine if they have been given.

joyfull

If you wish to take this further I would suggest you contact Defra - if they more than 50 birds they should be registered with Defra, if they have less than 50 then they don't need to be.

Mercedes55

Thank you Joyfull, I think I will contact DEFRA as yes they did have more than 50 girls there.  I am more concerned right now about other people having the same problem.  It's too late for my girls now, they are already sick, but if he has other hens with this illness then he shouldn't be selling them and recommending they are just put in right away with existing flocks.  If you people on here say new girls should be quarantined, then as a poultry supplier why doesn't he say the same if he as clued up on his hens as he claims to be  >:(

Mercedes55

Well I did phone DEFRA and they gave me another number to ring for my area and I spoke with a vet there but as this illness is not notifiable there is little he can do.  One of my other pure breeds is now very ill too, so have 4 of them very sick.  Have had them in the conservatory so we can monitor them and make sure they are eating and drinking, but right now it doesn't appear that the Tylan is doing much, if anything.

Had an email from the Supplier yesterday and he has the 3 hens we returned in quarantine and then he intends selling them again.  Now I would have thought that just like ours those 3 hens would be either infected or be silent carriers and should be in a 'closed flock' too  ::)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 07:32 by Mercedes55 »

xx
Advice on Mareks in a supposedly vaccinated flock.

Started by kyz1981 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post December 24, 2012, 23:49
by jhub
xx
should chickens be vaccinated

Started by andyw on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 11, 2012, 13:37
by Casey76
xx
Possible Respiratory Problem

Started by 3Bluebelles on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post June 14, 2011, 17:58
by Alison_T
xx
Respiratory infection

Started by upert on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 18, 2016, 18:35
by henamoured

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 40 queries.