I don't like netting

• 47 Replies

Petite graine

• Experienced Member
I don't like netting
« on: June 28, 2009, 00:27 »
Too much trouble and I don't really like the sight of them :unsure:

Is there any alternative to protect my peas, broccoli and brussels sprouts from pigeons (I guess)?  :unsure:

I have just ordered a scarecrow from ebay lol. Does this really work?  :wub: Well, at least, my daughter will like it :D

What about an owl ornament? I saw one on a post. Is this just an ornament or can that scare other birds?  ??? I have seen some quite cheap on ebay. Could be worth it...

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 00:29 by Petite graine »
http://www.pathlights.com/nr_encyclopedia/images/gardening.gif[/img]Froggy with a little piece of England...

Trillium

Re: I don't like netting
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 00:30 »
I don't think anyone likes netting but its pretty much a 100% guarantee against pests unless you forget to tuck in some edges.
Ice has an owl on her garden; not sure if it works or not. Pigeons today are so bold that I doubt they'd care. Only thing that would keep them away is a fake moving hawk of some sort (Predator). Things like flapping CDs work only for the first day.

SG6

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 00:58 »
Would suggest a shotgun and a game recipe book. ??? ??? ???
But everytime I do someone says I shouldn't suggest killing things. :( :( :(
As you are Petite I would say a 12 bore could be too big, try a 410 (smaller) ::) ::) ::)

Problem will be that pigeons are persistant, if they find a food source they will keep coming back again and again. Also they will land a few feet away and simply walk to the food source. They don't need direct flight access to it.

Small dog or a cat might be useful. As I think they (pigeons) eventually learn not to bother.

They don't bother my stuff as my neighbour puts bird food out so they eat that. At other times the visiting sparrowhawk makes them disappear.

Petite graine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 01:49 »
Could providing bird seeds be the answer then ?  :blink:

Maybe a bit risky  :D

SG6

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 07:43 »
I suspect that it works for me owing to the arrangement of the two gardens and the position of my vegetables. (Luck not design :D :D :D)

Also the food I put out is sunflower hearts and millet seed. Both of which are in feeders that the smaller feathered pigglets can get at. Dried fruit is dropped closer to the house for the blackbirds. (They also eat the cherries, blueberries and anything else they can get, I keep telling them I will pull all their feathers out and make them walk home, but they ignore me ??? ??? ???)

So neighbours food, on a "classic" roofed birdtable is easier for the pigeons and so they go there.

Sue32

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 08:56 »
Feeding may work - I feed the squirrels in my garden and I've had no bother from them in the garden.  BUT - they have almost coninuous supply.  I suspect that as soon as they can't get their fill at the feeder they will look at all the nice things around them instead - they have to eat.  I also feed the birds in the flower garden - not on the lottie.
Also if you feed the birds you actually get more coming as they spread the word that there's a feast to be had.

I did find that my seeds stayed ok when I just had some CDs hanging over them - hung from a slightly angled cane they can sway around and make a nice clacking sound when they hit the cane.   as this is less predictable than static scarers it seemed ok.   But I used lots of them and they are not pretty either! - now there are pods etc and less space for things to hang - I have nets over everything!!
trying to be green except when blue

Can you eat that?

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 10:09 »
Foxes, I have a set at the end of my plot and none of us in the surrounding area have been bothered by pigeons and the rabbits have left.

It's a bit drastic and you can't pick them up in B&Q but it has worked.

I think your going to have to give in and get netting.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 10:13 »
Dont forget, if you get the right netting it doesnt just protect from birds, but other pests too.  Its not pretty but I wouldnt be without mine
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 10:32 »
Netting?

Use it or lose it.

No nets = no crops.

NOTHING else works!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Chappers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 11:24 »
I got some butterfly netting from harrod horticulture online which keeps the cabbage whites and pigeons off, seems to work a treat.
Chappers

27th on the waiting list !!! NOT

Now a 1/3 plot owner :-)

zazen999

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 11:29 »
I don't like it either, and I stick sticks from an old apple tree around the brassicas, and the beans and peas - mainly because I don't grow in specific rows but dot my stuff all round the place and interplant - it seems to work for me.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 11:51 »
Maybe your plot is not lined with 100 ft trees loaded with pigeons waiting for you to go home!

gillie

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 11:55 »
"NOTHING else works!"

We seem to have hit on a solution, at least for the moment and it is not for everyone:

Big hawks flying overhead - real ones - we have red kites and buzzards breeding nearby  and never a peck out of a leaf.

Another solution, though an expensive one, is a fruit/veg cage tall enough for you to stand up in and covered with inconspicuous black netting.

Cheers,

Gillie

zazen999

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 14:52 »
Maybe your plot is not lined with 100 ft trees loaded with pigeons waiting for you to go home!

It is, that's why I put the sticks in the ground.

If they can't land next to the plants, they can't eat them.

Petite graine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 15:24 »
"Netting?

Use it or lose it.

No nets = no crops.

NOTHING else works!"

Well, I have 10 pea plants the last 2 years and they seemed untouched  :unsure: Same for the red currants (I have loads this year, but apart from poo on the leaves, the crop itself is untouched  :blush:). So I got a bit too confident I guess  :D

But this year, I got 10 brussels sprouts for a neighbour, and broccolis that my daughter sowed earlier on. And some cauliflowers still in their seed trays. I have never sowed them before and everybody tells me to put some netting up. They all do look like the leaves have been nibbled on so I am guessing it is the birds? There is slug pellets around them, so I don't think that it is the problem. Also, the neighbour that gave me the brussels sprouts planted hers 2 days befors mine and there are now 3-4 times the size of mine, and under netting. So I guess that would make a difference...  :wub:

Feeling like giving up on brassicas (that's what they are called isn't it?) altogether in fact, as the rest seems to be doing ok without the need for netting  :blush:

Thanks for all the answers!!!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 15:26 by Petite graine »

xx
Debris netting or Ikea netting?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 18:51
by hightide
xx
netting

Started by blackisgreen on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 10:13
by blackisgreen
xx
Netting

Started by gallowman on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 08:40
by mumofstig
xx
Netting

Started by stu007 on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 04, 2008, 07:31
by Jeanieblue

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 39 queries.