Planting out squash

• 6 Replies

Ethel

Planting out squash
« on: May 19, 2019, 14:25 »
I'll be planting out my squash plants in the next week or so as the forecast is looking ok. I'd read that 5' sq was enough space for big ones (Queenlsand blue, Ute, Musquee de Provence). Would people agree with that? Also, I'm planning on using nasturtiums and a few small dahlias between individual pumpkin patches to add a bit of ground cover and interest. Would it be wise to add another few inches onto each five foot square to take account of the fact that there will be a few flowers in there too? Thanks in advance.
Ever tried? Ever failed? No Matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail Better.

Ethel

Re: Planting out squash
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 14:36 »
Also, meant to ask, would you plant them a little deeper than they are in the pots? I saw someone on insta recommending planting a bit deep to encourage extra root growth. I was also thinking it might reduce impact of wind; I was watching my plants hardening off in a bit of a  breeze out the back a few days ago looking like they were about to snap over, they have such big leaves.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 07:38 »
Im growing Hundredweight this year and have allocated a 5ft x 11ft bed for 4 plants, though the optimum is, as you say, 5sqft per plant for giants. I wouldn't design in extra space for the nasturtiums and Dahlias if only growing a few around as companions as the pumpkin fruits and stems can be moved aroumd a bit as they grow, as can the nasturtiums if theyre a scrambling variety.

In terms of planting depth, yes the deeper the better so try and plant up to the first leaf nodes.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 09:43 »
Personally, I wouldn't plant flowers around squash, they are thugs and can completely overwhelm anything in their way. Plant them nearby to help pollination, but not in the same bed - would be my advice.

Ethel

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 17:58 »
Thanks very much - I'll keep my flowers to the edges and not plant anything too precious:)

Nobbie

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 09:54 »
Thanks very much - I'll keep my flowers to the edges and not plant anything too precious:)

You could probably get away with planting the dahlias in the middle as long as they are relatively tall varieties as they would be above the squash canopy before it enveloped them. I just left my squash alone last year and they completely covered the ground.

Actually, if you sow a vigorous nasturtium they would probably climb through the canopy as they can be quite thuggish too. Worth a go for the sake of a few seeds. Do take a picture, might even try it myself now :)

Ethel

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 09:48 »
Actually, if you sow a vigorous nasturtium they would probably climb through the canopy as they can be quite thuggish too. Worth a go for the sake of a few seeds. Do take a picture, might even try it myself now :)
[/quote]
I think I'm going to keep my dahlias out of the battle but will post a pic of the nasturtium/squash fight:)

xx
Squash Planting

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 29, 2020, 14:11
by AnneB
xx
Butternut squash planting

Started by pottylotty1 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 24, 2017, 21:57
by gobs
xx
Planting squash and pumpkins on a slope.

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 11, 2014, 17:16
by gavinjconway
xx
Spud-chasing squash planting...

Started by Fishplate42 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 29, 2021, 16:17
by Fishplate42

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 30 queries.