3 and a bit days and counting :)

• 58 Replies

Carla

• Experienced Member
3 and a bit days and counting :)
« on: August 18, 2010, 11:14 »
Just wanted to share my ex-batt arrival day count down because I'm ridiculously excited and my 5 month old and my labrador really couldnt give a fig. WOO-HOOOOOOOO  :D :D :D
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: 3 and a bit days and counting :)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 11:24 »
Believe me when those birds arrive both will be very interested  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 11:05 »
arh its soooo exciting for you, looking forward to seeing piccys of the new girlies, which reminds me i really must put a piccy up of my new girl  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:, ive gotten side tracked by painting the kitchen :lol: :lol: nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 11:25 »
I cant wait Nicky, get butterflies everytime I think about them. Just imagining where they are now and the hideous life they've got, they are going to be so happy here (I hope!)
The coop went up yesterday, keep going into the garden and looking at it, the neighbours must think I've lost the plot :)
I'll try and get pics of the whole rescue process and keep updating so everyone can see how Ethel, Maud and Mildred are coming along.
What type of chooks have you got? xx
Carls x

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 11:58 »
Hey Carla,

Have you thought about creating a blog with pictures on your journey in having your ladies? Will be a treasure to keep.
Alan

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 12:31 »
Hey Carla,

Have you thought about creating a blog with pictures on your journey in having your ladies? Will be a treasure to keep.

I wouldnt know where to start Alan, good idea though, I'll see if I can figure it out :) It would be great for my little boy to look at in the future xx

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 12:58 »
It's actually easier than you think.
Go to http://www.blogger.com and have a look.

Can't wait to see a picture of your coop up in situ.  :-)

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 16:14 »
I cant wait Nicky, get butterflies everytime I think about them. Just imagining where they are now and the hideous life they've got, they are going to be so happy here (I hope!)
The coop went up yesterday, keep going into the garden and looking at it, the neighbours must think I've lost the plot :)
I'll try and get pics of the whole rescue process and keep updating so everyone can see how Ethel, Maud and Mildred are coming along.
What type of chooks have you got? xx
Carls x

I have 4 ladies, a Barnevelder, a Speckledy, an amber star and my new addition is a Crested Legbar,  ive just been out and taken loads of piccys so will put them up in a bit.  nickyx

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 11:40 »
The coop is up :)
Needs a new roof, having a shiplap one made because the felt is perfect for red mite (so I've been told) but the rest is ready to go. Eventually I'll have a big open run made elsewhere in the garden, but this should do them for now. After what they've been used to, it will be like a palace.
Maisy has sniffed around it for 2 days now, wait til the chickens are in it, she'll be mega confused :)
100820_094248.jpg

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 16:28 »
Looks fab hun, is it only one more sleep now until you get your girls, really excited for you, looking forward to piccys.  nickyx

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 17:14 »
That looks great Carla - is that a mug of tea inside the coop waiting for them?  :wacko:
What time are they arriving tomorrow? Excited?   :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 17:36 »
Hahaha, yep, nice cuppa nad a biccy, think they'll be needing it :)
I've got to collect them between 12 and 3pm, got to phone first to make sure the rescue went smoothly and everythings ok.  Even my butterflies have butterflies I'm that excited!! Just giving my orders that I want the whole right hand side of the garden fenced off as a humungous run for them  (my plan is to sneak more ladies in eventually..but shhhhh).
How high do you reckon I should go with the run? Got 10 metres of weld mesh stuff to use up, reels of green garden mesh (for covering peas and things) and a boat load of good quality chicken wire. Got to  be able to do something with that lot???
This time tomorrow they'll be here WOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :D :D :D

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 18:04 »
Not sure on how high to go.... will you make it completely enclosed? If not, make sure they are not flighty or you might need to wing clip them. I would just get them in and all settled and see how you feel about the run after. They have plenty of room for now.

When I got mine, I was told to put them straight in the coop itself and then let them come out themselves when they are ready. They stayed in there for about 2 hours and then merged.

I held one of mine for the first time this week as only had them a week - she was ok whilst we were holding her (she is head hen of them) as soon as I put her down, you could hear her swearing at me for picking her up! I best get her used to it.

This has been their first week and one week later and they have really settled in. So do give yours time.

Al

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 18:09 »
how many girls are you getting,    with ref to the wire, make sure you dig it down aswell especially if your prone to the odd fox passing by,  i doubt they will have to the strength to fly for a while anyway, and you can always clip their wings later on.   Im sure your not gonna get a wink of sleep.  Good luck for tomorrow and look forward to hearing how you get on.   Nickyx

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 18:23 »
Yes Alan, I'll leave them in their new coop for at least a week so they know where's home, and being ex-bats, I'm thinking they'll be mega nervous, so they'll need some peace for a while, but I'm just thinking ahead with regards to the run. If I dont get on the case while the weathers still ok(ish) I'll never do it. I'll wing clip them regardless, my house back on to a big field and then a massive drop down to the canal and if they ever escaped I'd either never find them again or they'd drown.
I'm led to believe that you should just sit in the run with the hens for as long as you can spare, occasionally stroking their backs as they wander past, then they'll stop seeing you as a baddie and accept you into their flock??
Nicky, I've reserved 3 girlies, I've been told they may not be able to walk very well, not to put the perches in the coop and remove anything they might fly onto and fall off :(
I've just been bawling my eyes out looking at pics of battery farms, thinking of my girls being in one at the moment is heart breaking. But not for much longer eh  :D :D

xx
21 days

Started by scabs on Chicken Chat

55 Replies
Last post June 17, 2010, 18:36
by scabs
xx
21 days revisited

Started by scabs on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 20:08
by Pretty Chick
xx
The first 9 days of 2010

Started by Oliveview on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post January 19, 2011, 17:48
by Oliveview
xx
Just had an interesting few days!

Started by GrannieAnnie on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post March 07, 2011, 16:49
by alancane

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 40 queries.