Egg thieves on allotments

• 9 Replies

wendyg

Egg thieves on allotments
« on: December 17, 2012, 17:07 »
I know some of you keep hens on allotments, have you been targeted by egg thieves?  We have twice now, the first time they tried to lever off one of the two padlocks on my walk-in run, but gave up.  I went up to the plot today to clean/water/feed the hens and the so and so's had only gone and cut part of  the wire mesh >:(.    It's lucky that the hens didn't manage to escape or that they didn't end up as Mr Fox's breakfast.  The chap a few plots up from me has also had his coop broken into (it's a converted shed with a run attached).  It just makes you so angry that they have no thoughts for the safety of the hens.

run photo.jpg
1 Chicken House Blue, 1 Pied Suffolk, 1 Sussex, 1 Copper Black, 1 Cocker Spaniel, 1 border terrier x min. bull terrier, 1 Cat and an allotment.

grinling

Re: Egg thieves on allotments
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 20:22 »
The allotment I was on has had chickens taken. A cockerel was taken, but flung back a week later. Others have had theirs killed, either manually or 1 guy had the chicken run set alight.
Can you move them home for a few weeks?

wendyg

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 21:03 »
The reason I decided on a coop within a large walk-in run, was to protect the chickens from unwanted attention, I felt that a coop attached to a run was easily tampered with.  Unfortunately I can't have the hens at home as I only have a small paved patio garden. 

Luckily no-one has had their hens physically touched, the person just seems to want the eggs.

Griffete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 21:34 »
Its most probably some one on the plot ? >:(

mike0001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 21:42 »
i dont keep chickens but that seems really low and quite a desperate thing to do

do we really live in a society that feels the need to steal eggs ?

not sure what the answer is but i wish you luck... hope you come up with something stronger to use

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 23:05 »
I would put some rotten eggs in for them to steal, I don't think they would bother coming back then.   
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Brood of Bournemouth

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 10:23 »
Thing is I'm sure if someone simply asked to buy some if you've had spare, you'd try and help. It's the future worry and damage you now have to deal with.  How many eggs roughly would they have got, and are they hatching eggs? Maybe a dummy, or non-working CCTV on a tall pole and a sign would deter them.

wendyg

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 11:49 »
Luckily there were no eggs for them to steal as I had collected them the afternoon before it happened.  Unfortunately the allotment holder just down from me did have some stolen for the second time, he wasn't very happy.  I haven't heard yet if other plot holders had coops/runs broken into.  What most annoys me is the damage caused and the potential for the chickens to escape or to be dinner for the foxes.   We have had a quite a few shed break-ins, I lost 3 tools in one of the raids (I was in a rush to leave and failed to hide them), they damaged the shed door (metal shed) trying to lever off the padlock.  It is just so annoying that some people don't think through the consequence of their actions, it's not as if people leave expensive things in their sheds and at this time of year there aren't that many eggs either.

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 13:06 »
As much as you may think the police wont be able to catch the culprits, I'd still report it to them, both damage to property and theft - they might be able to give the allotment a bit of passing attention with the odd PCSO passing through whilst on foot patrol, which might be a deterrent to the low-life/s that have done this.

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 08:41 »
As much as you may think the police wont be able to catch the culprits, I'd still report it to them, both damage to property and theft - they might be able to give the allotment a bit of passing attention with the odd PCSO passing through whilst on foot patrol, which might be a deterrent to the low-life/s that have done this.

Yes report it, we have to report everything that happens at ours and now they have included it on their patrol.
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

xx
Law re chickens on allotments

Started by sirgalahad on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 16:27
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 28 queries.