wasps nest

• 4 Replies

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
wasps nest
« on: July 29, 2011, 21:04 »
just been clearing our allotment that hasnt been worked for 3 yrs ish,and why clearing the top were i want place my shed and greenhouse ive found a wasps nest in the ground,now ive read on here about leaving them alone but problem his ive three young children who were stung today and i was stung 3 times myself,now i cant take kids up there till ive eradicated these,so whats the cheapest way to get rid of them? cheers shaun

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: wasps nest
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 21:18 »
I didn't know wasps set their nests in the ground.

I'm sure you can get poison to put down near the nest.  You can also get powder to spray but you'd need to use that late in the day when they have settled for the night, so as to minimise a great big cloud of them chasing after you.

An alternative but not cheap way is to get a professional in.

If it's a council site it might be worth contacting them to see if they can help before you do anything.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 22:45 »
I agree with Yorkie about first asking your allotment group about getting rid of them.

But if they won't, check garden centres for various wasp killing products. I prefer a spray type myself, one that shoots a steady jet from about 6 or more feet away. And you definitely do this in late evening with a flashlight. They'll all be in for the night, drowsy, and not in attack mode.

Gandan57

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 22:51 »
I used Doff Foaming Wasp Nest Killer to destroy the nest that was amongst my potatoes. I waited until it was almost dark and sprayed the entire aerosol into the entrance to the nest, and then quickly put an upturned plastic meat tray over the hole and covered this with soil.

Managed to complete this without being stung as wasps were still returning and trying to enter the nest. By the next day no wasps were to be seen.

I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 14:12 »
I used a wasps killer spray in the evening as others have said and a couple of days later lit a bonfire on top of the area.
Mine was in an old compost bay when I first took over the plot.

xx
We have a wasps nest HELP!!

Started by greenfingers on General Gardening

28 Replies
Last post September 15, 2007, 13:11
by hermon
question
Wasps

Started by Aunt Sally on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post September 06, 2021, 17:19
by AndyRVTR
xx
Wasps!

Started by jackieinthebox2001 on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 09:33
by Swing Swang
xx
hornet's nest

Started by agapanthus on General Gardening

14 Replies
Last post September 21, 2007, 12:16
by wildeone

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 34 queries.