Tips for growing for a show.

• 20 Replies

muckyboots

• Experienced Member
Tips for growing for a show.
« on: November 19, 2009, 20:12 »
Hi , this is my first attempt at contacting the experts.(And using this site so be gentle )Our gardening club held a show last year which was a success,but alas my entry's (2) were poor to say the least.Basicly I grow to eat ,(I only grow small potato's because of my small mouth) I would like to put some carrots,parsnip and peas in next year, and would value any help as to what and how to go about it.I would add that I,m a novice at growing veg ,(ie the size of my potato's) and am keen to learn all about growing my own. Thanks for reading this. :unsure:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Tips for growing for a show.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 09:38 »
Hi Muckyboots and welcome to the site  :D

Small spuds are often the result of inadequate watering when the spuds are growing.  Some people add manure or potato fertiliser too, though I tend to forget and haven't noticed a huge problem  ::)

Carrots are tricky to grow on heavy soil, they prefer sandy soil and will fork (funny shapes) at the slightest opportunity - e.g. if they hit a stone.  Also do not manure the plot where carrots or parsnips will grow as this too will encourage forking.

Peas are straightforward, just choose a variety you like the sound of.  Dig a trench about 6" wide and a couple of inches deep, scatter the seeds in there quite thickly (perhaps about 2" diagonal spacing in three rows) and then cover up.  The birds will attack the new shoots so cover up with net or fleece or mesh etc.

Best of all, have a read here for starters and consider a good book - John's books through this site are really well written and helpful.  :D

P.S. I'm sending this thread to the Grow Your Own forum as it's about growing your own  ;)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 11:21 »
Choosing the right varieties helps.
Most catalogues include 'good for exhibition' in their descriptions. Some examples are
Long carrots - New red intermediate
Stump carrots - Sweet candle
Beetroot - Pablo
Onion - Kelsae, Ailsa Craig
Shallot - Hative de niort
Parsnip - Princess, Gladiator
Potato - Kestrel, Winston
Pea - Hurst green shaft

Except in those classes for the biggest, condition and evenness are more important than size.

muckyboots

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 16:32 »
Thank's YORKIE & SALMO, some good info there I'll take note and have a go.It was dry this year probably why the small spuds,and my garden is very free draining.Im getting a load of composted bark next week to put some life into the soil.My garden isn't that big so It'l get a good dose.Thanks again. :)

philsmith1967

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 18:27 »
Well, we could be here an age discussing this so I will tell you my prize winning technique for carrots and parsnips.
Grow them in long tubes(old drainpipes,chimney pots etc..) in a mixture of sharp sand and compost which are both sifted to remove large particles. The longer the tube the better but 3 to 4 feet is good.
If you can get hold of 4inch soil pipe (The type your toilet is plumbed into) this is great because a cut down 2litre coke bottle fits perfectly in to make a little greenhouse.Cut off the top and turn it upside down - this enables you to sow seed in about late February to give a long growing season(most shows being in late summer).About half way through of the season' just water at the base of thr tube to encourage the root to search for moisture. I regularly grow carrots and parsnips between 3 and 4 foot long which are smooth and straight.
Try a carrot variety called St.Valery and good luck............ :nowink:

Elcie

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 18:38 »
Well, we could be here an age discussing this so I will tell you my prize winning technique for carrots and parsnips.
Grow them in long tubes(old drainpipes,chimney pots etc..) in a mixture of sharp sand and compost which are both sifted to remove large particles. The longer the tube the better but 3 to 4 feet is good.
If you can get hold of 4inch soil pipe (The type your toilet is plumbed into) this is great because a cut down 2litre coke bottle fits perfectly in to make a little greenhouse.Cut off the top and turn it upside down - this enables you to sow seed in about late February to give a long growing season(most shows being in late summer).About half way through of the season' just water at the base of thr tube to encourage the root to search for moisture. I regularly grow carrots and parsnips between 3 and 4 foot long which are smooth and straight.
Try a carrot variety called St.Valery and good luck............ :nowink:

Ooh it is tempting!  How do you stand them upright?  Or do you leave them lying down?  Oh, is that a silly question?

muckyboots

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 19:43 »
Thanks Philsmith, looks like i,v got a lot to learn.Just a thought do you feed 'em if so what with.

philsmith1967

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 17:11 »
No feed required for these roots - to much richness can cause forking. Just keep moist until established and  keep the bottom area moist to encourage the root to search for the moisture.
It is surprisingly exciting (sad old man  :lol:!) at harvest time bbecause you just don't know what you're going to get.

muckyboots

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 19:14 »
Thank to all,much appreciated.What a great site this is. :happy:

Steve.B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 20:16 »
Phil,

I just so happen to have about 30' of 4" soil pipe so may give this a try.
Question: Do you bury the pipes into the ground? so only a foot is above the ground?
or have them free standing, these will be on my allotment (but could have them in the green house)
Thanks

Steve

DavidT

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 20:32 »
Use them above ground. Ideally, split them in half length wise, use ties to hold the two halves together. Fill with a sieved, general purpose compost, and sow the seed in it. thin out to one seedling when they are big enough to handle.

bigben

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 12:56 »
I remember watching a programme a couple of months ago called "Half Ton Veg" about 3 guys growing absolutely huge stuff. I googled it and it seems as if it is being repeated Monday 30 November, 8.30PM on More4. It is worth a watch just to see what is possible.
Enjoy

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 14:10 »
Thanks for that Bigben, I missed it first time round :)

Salmo

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 14:29 »
Not much point in adopting over the top techniques for your local show.

Your aim should be to grow top quality veg that you would like to use in your kitchen. Pick out the best matching specimens for the show.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 18:13 by Salmo »

Bobbeh

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 18:15 »
Looks like the program is available on '4 on demand'.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/half-ton-veg/4od#2926065

I remember watching a programme a couple of months ago called "Half Ton Veg" about 3 guys growing absolutely huge stuff. I googled it and it seems as if it is being repeated Monday 30 November, 8.30PM on More4. It is worth a watch just to see what is possible.
Enjoy

xx
Growing for show.

Started by Clampit on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 06, 2008, 21:13
by David.
xx
Tips on growing spinach

Started by Penny22 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 04, 2007, 19:27
by Penny22
xx
pumpkin growing tips please...

Started by needssomehelp on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post December 17, 2010, 22:26
by philsmith1967
xx
Tips on growing turnips?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post October 21, 2010, 10:41
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 37 queries.