Any ideas?

• 2 Replies

Honeysuckle

• Experienced Member
  • Kira & Bruin
Any ideas?
« on: April 15, 2011, 18:46 »
My beautiful Buff Orpington cockerel, Barney, died today.   :(  I've had him less than 2 weeks.  Rest assured I will be phoning the breeder tomorrow (too upset at the moment), but in the meantime, I thought I'd ask all you helpful folks if you have any ideas as to what the problem may have been. 

The first sign we had that something wasn't quite right was a couple of days ago - he would hide under the coop, it was then I realised that I hadn't heard him crow for a couple of days.  When putting them away last night (we had to get Barney from under the coop and put him inside) my OH noticed yesterday that Barney's wattles were dark in colour so I was thinking maybe a heart problem?  With this in mind, we planned to take him to the vet's this evening, but alas we were too late.   :( 

Unfortunately I don't know how old he was (my fault, didn't think to ask his age), the hens that I got with him aren't laying as yet but I realise that's no guarantee that Barney wasn't alot older.  Obviously I have concerns for the ladies now but, touch wood...., they seem to be OK. 

As I say, I will phone the breeder tomorrow.  We have got all our chickens from him and never had a problem until now. 

Any ideas would be appreciated.   :unsure:
2 German Shepherds, Kira & Bruin, 4 hybrid chicks Chryssie, Violet, Sweet Pea and Astra.

Helenaj

Re: Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 19:00 »
When I bought my Welsummer cockerel last year he developed a blue comb and we thought that was it. We even brought him into the house to keep an eye on him. After taking him to our poultry vet he said that our cockerel was just over excited at getting his own girls. Thankfully, he pulled through but maybe your cockerel was just too overwhelmed at having his own ladies and it proved too much for him.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Any ideas?
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 07:58 »
one way to guess at his age is to look at his spurs - or to see if they have been shortened - under 1 year they not big at all, my old boy (aged about 8) has about 3-4 inches of spur.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Any ideas please

Started by Jellyhead on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 30, 2008, 13:20
by bean
xx
Any ideas please???

Started by Brambles on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 16, 2008, 23:42
by Brambles
xx
Help Any Ideas

Started by Jeanette on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 23:31
by hillfooter
xx
Any ideas what this one is please?

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 25, 2011, 22:12
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 29 queries.