House / Office Plants

• 10 Replies

TTG

House / Office Plants
« on: April 08, 2010, 13:32 »
Now I know this is an allotment forum but I am guessing there are people on the forum who are knowledgable plantsmen and plantswomen who will probably know. I apologise if it is in the wrong section but here goes.

I am looking at some presentable house or office plants for the place I work at. Basically we have moved sites (or will be tomorrow) and the MD has agreed to let us get suitable plants to make the offices, reception and conference room look better. Also plants in offices and homes supposedly make the places healthier too, or at least that was one of our arguments. My problem is I only know the Dracaena Marginata (Dragon Tree), Yucca, Kentia Palm and weeping fig. The last one I have ruled out on account of its ability to die rather easily (I've killed two at home all in the space of about 1 week after buying them probably through over or under watering). Also I don't like yuccas.

Basically all I have, ideas-wise, it the Dracaena and the Kentia Palm. Is there any other commonly available indoor plant that is easy to keep alive? Bear in mind I will be looking after them when one of my colleagues is off and I have not been too successful with house plants at home. I'm great with outdoors plants but house plants die on me.

If there are any ideas I'd be pleased to hear them.

I must admit I would quite like to get house plants for my own home but I am close to removing from existence my second or third cast iron plant (aspidistra). Shame really because I revived it from the all brown leaves stage by about 2 months of watering the pot before the sprouts came back. Further watering and the thinning out of the dead or dying stalks / leaves resulted in a nice bushy plant, it is now in theprocess of returning to the brown leaf stage in its cycle. Thank goodness I seem to have a good source of them from a relative.

As an aside my best record was about 20 years survival 10 of which was in my own house as opposed to my parent's. It survived the last 10 years before it died without water as I forgot I had it. :blush: Aren't Cacti amazing. As a kid I was heavily into them and grew a few from seed. I have two cactis still that were grown from seed.

Debz

Re: House / Office Plants
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 13:37 »
Mother in law's tongue (don't know it's proper name) seems to be fairly bomb proof.  It lives in my house and is often neglected but doesn't seem to mind.

madcat

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 13:51 »
Mother in law's tongue (don't know it's proper name) seems to be fairly bomb proof.  It lives in my house and is often neglected but doesn't seem to mind.

So long as the heating isnt turned off over Christmas ....  mine is very unwell - it just got too cold/damp this winter   :( :( .   I'm not impressed

Rubber plants stand a lot of abuse too, and the big shiny leaves look impressive.  Spider plants too  ... someone should be able to give you some of those.  When I had to set up new offices on a very short shoestring, I called into a B&Q warehouse (I think I was getting notice boards - told you this was a very tight budget!) and they had packs of 3 house plants for a fiver.  I think I saw them recently - good value and they are tough.  They churn fast too, so they don't get too dead. Give them a good soak in the sink and put them in some plant saucers ...

Oh yes - don't put them near the coffee machine/kettle.  So tempting to pour the dregs into the soil ....  >:(
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

noshed

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 14:01 »
Spider plants will put up with anything and they are supposed to filter bad stuff out of the air. If you want some small plants, PM me.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 16:09 »
Chillies.

Everywhere.
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

Piccolo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 21:38 »
How about kalanchoes?  (if they are happy you'd get some flowers as well)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 21:47 »
Spider plants will put up with anything and they are supposed to filter bad stuff out of the air. If you want some small plants, PM me.

I used to have loads of spider plants in my office, not much flower wise, but all the little babies dangling down.  One of my engineer's stood there with one round his neck and said hey look, the tiriffids have arrived! lol

Hard to kill too!!!!

I also grew on a large Umbrella plant.  Shefflera.  It reached the ceiling in the office and when I left, I had to leave it there because it wouldn't have fitted on the train!

I also used to grow loads of other stuff in there.  Coleus, pretty foliage, busy lizzie, geraniums, oh loads of things!

diggerjoe

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 15:17 »
Weve just had some devils ivy plants put in our meeting room at work dont know their latin name but they are supposed to be really easy.  I have refused to look after them as although I can grow veg and flowers outside with great success I am death to any house plant although the chilli plants are doing well in the cafe bar kitchen.

unconcerned

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 20:35 »
ficus is good of you can keep it from excessive heat...I have hundreds of the blooming things that I grew from a (ahem) stolen cutting taken in B&Q...I can't split them now - they're family!!

Slightly off topic...but do you go asking your friends if you can take cuttings from their plants and have you had a handy cut from a plant near to where you walk?

rock_chick

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 20:58 »
A lot of our plants in our garden, are from cuttings taken from various gardens and parks over the years!!  :wub:
http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

No two gardens are the same. No two days are the same in one garden.

cissie

• Experienced Member
  • Every day in every way....it's just not working.
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 22:43 »
How about a Peace Lily as long as they get water they're happy and they give you flowers in return :happy: i went to a garden centre today and came home with a cutting oooooops :blush:

xx
Office plants

Started by purplebean on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post September 12, 2010, 19:16
by sloegin
xx
Plants for the office

Started by londongardener on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post June 03, 2013, 14:36
by londongardener
xx
Office plants

7 Replies
Last post October 30, 2015, 11:10
by londongardener
xx
Office plants

5 Replies
Last post December 20, 2014, 10:59
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 32 queries.