Growing for Showing

• 11 Replies

The Singing Gardener

Growing for Showing
« on: January 12, 2008, 20:53 »
How many grow for showing?

How about an on-line gardening show? People can submit pictures of their produce.

ditchdigger

• Experienced Member
Growing for Showing
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 22:47 »
Not shown anything yet but this could be the year.
If it wasn't for chemicals we'd be organic.

Rob the rake

Growing for Showing
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 23:05 »
I don't think I dare. There was this weird "break in" a few years ago, where some tater tops were ripped off, a 5ft square of plastic was carefully cut from the polytunnel wall and my summer caulis (Candid Charm), which were MAGNIFICENT, were cut with near surgical precision into little slices.

The night before the attack, I had been talking to a successful show grower about them. It seems like too much of a coincidence that they were dissected the following night, and I believe that the other damage was just window dressing.

What really irks me is that the bloke knows I don't show any veg, but was obviously unwilling to take the risk that I might. Shame I didn't get any proof. I'd have made him remake the gate he smashed up, then battered him senseless.
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Growing for Showing
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 08:07 »
Quote from: "The Singing Gardener"

How about an on-line gardening show? People can submit pictures of their produce.

Can't find the original post at the moment as it's got buried in the sands if time and I can't remember much text from it, (I know I posted a spoof picture of some of my spuds in it). Anyway a thread was started sometime back for member's photos, but it seemed to die a death.

Also there is something that nags in the back of my mind about growing for show, when there are so many starving in this world. I'm not saying it's a major soapbox issue, but it's a niggle.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
Growing for Showing
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 10:17 »
I han't done but I'm thinking of having a go probably with onions cos I like growing em ayway and we use loads of em so one's not suitable show wouldn't get wasted anyway
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

littlemisssunshine

Growing for Showing
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 13:44 »
Last year my Dad's onions came first in our small village show, he won the tidy sum of £1.  Mind you two of the other three entries were disqualified for being over the class weight!

gobs

Growing for Showing
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 13:50 »
:lol:  :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

ditchdigger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 21:09 »
Quote from: "DD."

Can't find the original post at the moment as it's got buried in the sands if time and I can't remember much text from it, (I know I posted a spoof picture of some of my spuds in it). Anyway a thread was started sometime back for member's photos, but it seemed to die a death.

Also there is something that nags in the back of my mind about growing for show, when there are so many starving in this world. I'm not saying it's a major soapbox issue, but it's a niggle.
                                         So you've never had the urge to show your veg in the village hall?   :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 21:15 »
Quote from: "ditchdigger"
So you've never had the urge to show your veg in the village hall?   :lol:

No I'm an upstanding citizen! :wink:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 21:24 »
Quote from: "DD."

Found it!....

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?p=66128

splodger

Growing for Showing
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 21:28 »
i'm always being asked in the little village i live in - to put things into the local show - it's flattering - but not for me

i like to grow my flowers - for me and i like to grow my veg - for me and my neighbours and for charity

i really don't care what they look like - or how big they are

i hate the way shows want things to be perfect - but it's their idea of perfect - not mine

perfect to me is young and tasty - not massive and inedible

i want to eat my veg - not show it off to all and sundry - i know how good i am at gardening afterall  8) and i don't need to proove that to any twot in a judging panel  :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
Growing for Showing
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 21:30 »
Quote from: "splodger"
i'm always being asked in the little village i live in - to put things into the local show - it's flattering - but not for me

i like to grow my flowers - for me and i like to grow my veg - for me and my neighbours and for charity

i really don't care what they look like - or how big they are

i hate the way shows want things to be perfect - but it's their idea of perfect - not mine

perfect to me is young and tasty - not massive and inedible

i want to eat my veg - not show it off to all and sundry - i know how good i am at gardening afterall  8) and i don't need to proove that to any twot in a judging panel  :lol:

Hear hear!

xx
Growing for Showing

Started by Jay Dubya on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 19:51
by Jay Dubya
xx
growing for showing

Started by liz from the fizz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 21, 2007, 20:07
by corndolly
xx
Nothing showing yet

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 10:24
by Paul Plots
xx
Showing Veg

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post August 07, 2006, 22:51
by Oliver

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 35 queries.