Neglected pear trees

• 16 Replies

Selkie

Neglected pear trees
« on: January 05, 2008, 18:23 »
We have a pair of old pear trees; they are pretty over-grown (we were waiting to see what fruit they had before we did anything with them, they are definately pears but not sure what type)

When and how should I go about pruning them, bearing in mind that they are very overgrown and probably haven't been pruned for years and years.

Also, I thought pears were meant to be quite intolerant of salt (we live near the sea) but they seem to be doing ok apart from the leaves getting a bit burnt.

I've been putting seaweed at the base to feed them but really would welcome pruning advice...please!

splodger

Neglected pear trees
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 18:44 »
as a general rule of thumb, pear trees can be pruned in the same way as apples - but they are in fact more tolerant to heavy pruning and will be much better for it.

if it has been totally neglected then you can probably go for a restoration prune - i'm sure i've posted something on here about that

at the end of the day - the worst thing that could happen (if it's thriving now) is that you'll lose some fruiting spurs - but really, to get great fruit, you should thin out the fruit anyway  :wink:

gobs

Neglected pear trees
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 22:23 »
Just as per Splodger really. Any dead , crossing, diseased wood you loose first and than most pears are spur bearers. These spurs will be little tiny gnarly growths of the branches full of yet dormant buds, but you can tell them if you look close.You want to thin these out, just with common sense, that there is room for fruit to grow.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Selkie

Neglected pear trees
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 22:35 »
So is it ok to prune now?

sparky

Neglected pear trees
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 22:37 »
Is it best to prune the vertical growth right back?

splodger

Neglected pear trees
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 22:56 »
Quote from: "rosemarycallsthegoddess"
So is it ok to prune now?

i shall be starting my apple pruning duties in about a fortnights time - but as pears actually start growing earlier than apples - i'd say yes - do it now although trained trees usually only need summer pruning

on your old tree it would pay you to take out some of the fruiting spurs altogether and shorten the remainder - that's assuming that it is not a tip bearer (there are a few varieties of pear that are tip bearers you know  :wink: )

cut out the heavy central branches if you can / is suitable or any that are crossing etc - just as you would with an apple

if you are really struggling - pm me a photo - which i can edit and send back to you (and i'll do a vertual prune for you as a guide  :wink:

Selkie

Neglected pear trees
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 22:58 »
Splodge that would be fantastic, what a good idea!! :D Thank you!

I will write out what you've all suggested and take it out to the trees so I can have a look for these spurs.

I was going to suggest you come over here and do it, but no need now :lol:

splodger

Neglected pear trees
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 23:03 »
Quote from: "sparky"
Is it best to prune the vertical growth right back?

on spur forming bushes - you would normally leave 1 yr old shoots as the only carry growth buds

2 year old shoots will have fruit buds on them - and you can cut back - according to how strong that shoot is (weak shoots should be cut shorter than strong shoots

by cutting older wood - you are trying to encourage new growth so again it can be cut right back to one or two spurs

gobs

Neglected pear trees
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 09:33 »
Quote from: "splodger"

- pm me a photo - which i can edit and send back to you (and i'll do a vertual prune for you as a guide  :wink:

What a good idea, Splodger. 8)

Trillium

Neglected pear trees
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 16:19 »
Just remember that whatever kind of fruit tree you prune, never take out more than 1/3 of growth per year or you set back total growth for several years.

Selkie

Neglected pear trees
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 18:58 »

I thought I'd post a couple of the photos I've send Splodger (who gets my International Award for Nice Person) so you can all see how bad the trees are :roll:

splodger

Neglected pear trees
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 19:01 »
Quote from: "rosemarycallsthegoddess"
I thought I'd post a couple of the photos I've send Splodger (who gets my International Award for Nice Person) so you can all see how bad the trees are :roll:

bless you  :lol:  :oops:  :lol:

Selkie

Neglected pear trees
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 19:06 »
You are a star though Splodge :D

I wish you could come and do the work too though, I think it's going to be a big job :?

I think the tree leans that way because that's the direction we get all the gales etc coming; it's a bit exposed but hopefully once the escallonia really gets going (you can see it to the left in the top photo) that might provide a bit of shelter

splodger

Neglected pear trees
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 19:11 »
i'd love to come over and do it for you - but i couldn't afford the travel expenses - and you are not on your ferry  :wink:

you can't do to much at once on a tree that bad  :roll: sorry - but it is in a bad way  :roll:

how much fruit did it yeild last season?

Selkie

Neglected pear trees
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 19:15 »
Quote from: "splodger"
i'd love to come over and do it for you - but i couldn't afford the travel expenses - and you are not on your ferry  :wink:

you can't do to much at once on a tree that bad  :roll: sorry - but it is in a bad way  :roll:

how much fruit did it yeild last season?

Oh dear, I was hoping no one would ask about our bountiful crop of pears....I think there were about three or maybe four :roll:

I'm thinking this is another long term project, right? (like the house is too)

I don't know how long the trees had been there but I don't think anyone ever did anything for them :(

xx
Old neglected Apple trees - what to do?

Started by thestens on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 27, 2014, 11:48
by Ema
xx
Neglected minarette apple trees

Started by SouP on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 26, 2007, 07:51
by SouP
xx
Newbie with question #1: very neglected fruit trees

Started by Togalosh on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 21:48
by Togalosh
xx
Pear Trees

Started by Fleetwood Pete on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 25, 2011, 17:22
by aqua

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 35 queries.