Vole infestation

• 13 Replies

timdunn

Vole infestation
« on: October 24, 2013, 18:31 »
Hello,

Having a problem with voles eating veg still in the ground and chewing off young hornbeam hedge plants. Anyone know of any legal remedies?

Thanks!

fatbelly

Re: Vole infestation
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 18:42 »
I think Voles are a protected species (not 100% sure) but their numbers are in serious decline.
Are you sure its Voles?
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 19:47 »
Water voles are protected, field voles aren't  ;)

timdunn

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 20:24 »
I think they're field voles but could be mice. Certainly not water voles as too far from pond/watercourse. They've basically nibbled the hornbeams right through at the base and devoured a load of courgettes (maybe I should be thankful for the latter!)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 22:10 »
Sounds horribly like field voles

We have had dreadful damage this year as there is a population boom for the little devils.

I can only say that

a) they are certainly not protected in any way
b) they eat normal mouse bait

You can decide if you wish to go down this route, but I have found live trapping painfully slow and it made no difference to the levels of infestation on the plots on our site.

Their tunnels under roots cause huge crop losses, as well as our beloved rose bushes, and their constant eating, well, that speaks for itself.

Mouse bait does offer a solution, and used responsibly does not affect other wildlife.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 13:47 »
Eradibait is the best to use. 

It only kills rodents and even if a predator eats the rodent after it has been killed it will do no harm.

http://www.eradi-products.com/

Mrs Bee

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 21:54 »

It only kills rodents and even if a predator eats the rodent after it has been killed it will do no harm.

Now that is very useful to know, as I feel very uncomfortable using poison to get rid rodents, especially as we have owls who visit us.

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 00:09 »

Aunt Sally, I can't tell you how relieved I am that you've found and posted this - I've been fighting a huge vole infestation all through the spring and summer - tell-tale tunnels right under all my crops (I think they like eating the roots!) with so many plant losses it's amazing that I've grown anything at all! Definitely field voles (I've seen the cheeky critters - sitting right next to the rabbits who were happily munching on the bits they left above ground!). In the end I was almost about to reach for the rat poison, I was so desperate. Very glad there's an alternative. Do you have to buy it direct, or do you know if it's stocked in garden centres etc?

timdunn

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 00:42 »
Thanks for the tip - Very good to know! There's surprisingly little info. on the Internet about dealing with these infestations. Found the following 'low down' on Eradibait which may be of interest to others: http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/mobile/Eradibait-Rat-Mouse-Killer/productinfo/ERADIBAIT/ Seems like vole populations may be peaking in many areas. I believe they do so every 3-5 years then crash due to inbreeding and consequent susceptibility to disease; possibly excelerated by the warm summer.

JacsH

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 12:47 »
An old post but a current problem with us in SW Scotland this year. Cats now have a 'not vole again' look on their faces when they see one or 6. Combined with mice we have lost most of our strawberries this year - nipped off when green and left to rot - as well as some chillies, parsley, most of the broad beans and some French beans and now they've started on the carrots. (not to mention decorative plants). We're trying an old prevention of boiling a few cloves of garlic, squashing then straining and spraying the liquid over the relevant plants. We have, now, seen a young adder in the walls so are hoping that that will munch a few. Fingers crossed.

jaydig

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 17:26 »
I've got the little blighters on my plot too.  They've tunnelled under and eaten the potatoes, they've tunnelled under the strawberries, and nipped off loads of unripe fruit then left it in heaps throughout the bed.  I've never seen so many tunnels and so much damage to crops.  Come back Mr Mole, all is forgiven.

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 21:03 »
I too have got vole issues. they have eaten or part eaten all my beetroot, the occasional potato and I have give up planting peas directly.

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2020, 22:19 »
Had to jump in as I’ve finally found my people and perhaps a solution - will look in to Eradibait as I was told that voles wouldn’t take any ‘normal’ bait in traps.
Since the field that runs parallel to my garden was put down to permanent pasture the vole problem has got worse year on year. They eat EVERYTHING. And what they haven’t eaten just grows poorly as the ground is riddled with tunnels and often plants are putting down roots into the empty void of a tunnel.
If I walk on the soil it’s like walking on quicksand.
I’m at the end of my tether. Watching peas get to 6ft tall and then cut off at the root, Dahlias collapse as they’ve no tuber left, and I won’t even talk about my potatoes other than to say from the 12kg I planted I got about the same back - and most of those have been gnawed.
Vent over.

jaydig

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2020, 08:28 »
I've tried searching for Eradibait, but so far haven't had any luck.  Anyone else managed to find a supplier that has stock?

xx
Mammalian Infestation

Started by NN2Blue on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 29, 2011, 22:00
by Kajazy
xx
Greenfly infestation

Started by Phoenix on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 29, 2006, 23:38
by John
xx
Parsnip Infestation

Started by bi11 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 17, 2020, 21:38
by grinling
xx
Red ant infestation in spuds!!!!

Started by paulb58 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 20:15
by paulb58

Page created in 0.276 seconds with 30 queries.