The end of Jumboīs funny turn

• 10 Replies

Oliveview

The end of Jumboīs funny turn
« on: July 13, 2012, 21:44 »
Jumbo had a funny turn this evening, he has had 2 that we know of, months ago- we have not seen any since. 
He couldnīt get up, he was īkicking outī with his back legs and his front legs splayed out (that might be because of the tiles on the floor though)  He didnīt pee himself this time.  When he got up he stumbled about fast like a drunk person.

Hope this short video works.

Pamela

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: The end of Jumboīs funny turn
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 09:07 »
He's having fits  :(

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 09:13 »
 :(  Awww poor Jumbo.

Oliveview

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 12:48 »
We spoke to the vet about Jumbo before and he said it is probably a trapped nerve because of his weight- load of rubbish- we are certain it is a fit.  Trouble is the vet has never seen him having one, I should have videoīd it at the start, he was thrashing about.  No peeing himself this time, and he doesnīt foam at the mouth like my cousins dog does. He looked terrified, his eyes were very dark (they are dark but they seemed to go almost black) after about 5 min he was rushing about looking for a biscuit! 
We have seen 3 turns in about 8 months- he could have had a turn while we are  out, we  donīt know.  Poor fat boy  :(
Pamela

maxyboo

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 13:46 »
Can your  vet not test for epilepsy anyway? If you are willing to pay I don't see the problem. It does sound like a possibility to me.

Oliveview

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 14:29 »
We will have to wait until about September until we can comfortably take Jumbo to the vet, he is a really bad traveller and the high temperatures we are having wonīt help him.   If he were having the turns all the time we would take him in, but he gets distressed enough as it is in the car, without the heat making him worse.  We can go about 10min before he is sick  :( that is if we are lucky! The vet is the other side of the town, about a 20 min journey, not too bad but there are loads of roundabouts, which do not help Jumbo  :(  If the vets opened early it would be better, but they donīt open until 10am, so if you donīt get hot on the way in you get roasted on the way home!

Pamela

maxyboo

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 14:36 »
It must be difficult. My cat would cry all the way to the vets and that is only 5 minutes away! The heat would make it unbearable. My friend has an epileptic dog. He was tested for all sorts of neurlogical disorders and had MRI's etc. He is on pills now but still occasionally has a fit. Before diagnosis the fits were infrequent but he would tend to have 2 or 3 close together then none for a few weeks. He does not froth but sometimes wets himself and is very wobbly and frightened afterwards.

Oliveview

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 17:07 »
The first one we saw was when we just arrived home, Jumbo was not at the gate to meet us, he was up next to the low wall unable to stand up, we thought he had a broken leg, he suddenly recovered and ran out the open gate! We will try to keep an eye on him and if the turns get more frequent we will have to take him to the vet. The vet had suggested travel sickness medicine that young children have- it didnīt work :( 
There is a lovely walk about 45 min from here, the Via Verde, an old disused train track, but Jumbo would never make it there, such a shame, as it is a lovely place to walk the dogs (and us)

Pamela

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 21:52 »
awww poor jumbo. is there any way a vet could come to you? How is he if someone sits with him in the car maybe giving treats etc. It does seem very much like epilepsy. Try to restrain him from injuring himself when he is fitting i.e. moving things but be really careful cause when a dog is in the state of fitting they could injure you or other pets. I would definitely ring the vet and explain your concerns over taking him in and im sure there will be something they could do. keep us updated. Oh also there are these vest type things i have seem online not sure for defo what there called i think a thunder vest and they are supposed to wore miracles on dogs that suffer things like anxiety whilst driving good luck  :)

Chicken_Lover

• Experienced Member
  • R.I.P you two beautiful ladies:(
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 12:54 »
Glad to hear it's the end. Judging by him and Lola causing mischief in another thread with a rat, I'm guessing he's better now.  :lol:
1 Leghorn Cockerel, 2 Warrens, 4 Lemon Goldfish and 1 Jack Russell, One Big Party!!!!!! :D :D

Oliveview

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 09:09 »
He was fine a few minutes after the video ended, running about the garden chasing Lola!  He hasnīt had a turn since, or not that we have seen anyway. 

Pamela

xx
Jumbo showed us up

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

5 Replies
Last post July 29, 2012, 21:05
by MJS
xx
jumbo gave us one hell of a fright

23 Replies
Last post December 14, 2011, 22:12
by Oliveview
xx
Timón is now being very naughty with poor Jumbo

7 Replies
Last post December 10, 2012, 00:16
by Oliveview
xx
Funny side of owning dogs

Started by GTFC197 on Pets without Feathers

4 Replies
Last post December 15, 2013, 15:07
by Trillium

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 36 queries.