Chitting potatoes nibbled by mice!

• 3 Replies

DHM

• Experienced Member
Chitting potatoes nibbled by mice!
« on: February 10, 2019, 00:46 »
All my spuds chitting in the allotment shed, went over today and some have been nibbled by, I assume, mice! The wierd thing is, is all 6 of the Nicolas have been gnashed but none of the other 3 varieties. I suppose its quite amusing because I had no idea mice liked potatoes but has this ever happened to anyone else?

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
Re: Chitting potatoes nibbled by mice!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 09:24 »
Well, not quite the same, but last year I planted six different varieties: Ratte (!) Nicola, Pink Fir, Sarpo Mira, Sharpe's Express and Belle de Fontenay. 
Every single one of the Belle de Fontenay tubers were eaten - either completely or badly gnawed - by voles/mice. The Belle de Fontenay were planted in three different parts of the garden; alongside the other varieties, but none of the others were touched. Not even the Nicola.... More weird!

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 09:50 »
mice love seed potatoes and most other things they can get hold of this time of the year I never keep my seed potatoes in our potting shed or greenhouse because of the mice and  its to darn cold

and any intruders like mice are swiftly delt with in the potting shed and greenhouses especially when I'm seed sowing because we had big problems the other year with mice eating the seed out og the freshly sown trays if you use an humane trap you will need to take the mice a good way a way i don't use pioson and bought quite a robust trap for any rats that mite be calling its messy but it works

i think you where lucky the mice only decided to try belle de fontenay maybe its an aquiered tast for your mince who are a bit fussy what the eat  :D

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 09:57 »
How very strange...

The pesky blighter(s) choffed most of sunflower seeds I saved from some Giant heads last year which I can't be too suprised about, but spuds are a new one on me. The 'gnawings' look quite large, could it be a big rat? Looks like time to start patching holes up!

xx
Will my Potatoes survive being nibbled?

Started by JimS on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 18, 2009, 10:01
by woodburner
xx
Mice Attacks on Potatoes?

Started by NN2Blue on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 01, 2011, 22:12
by shokkyy
xx
Chitting potatoes

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 29, 2014, 20:19
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
Chitting potatoes

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 26, 2017, 20:19
by hiccup

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 42 queries.