pepper conundrum

• 3 Replies

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
pepper conundrum
« on: June 10, 2018, 08:22 »
Morning.
I have 6 chilli/peppers in tall 3 litre pots that look like they'd like to be potted up.  Trouble is, they are on a windowsill that isn't deep enough for the 10l flower buckets I've got.
What's best to solve this 1st world problem?  I think my options are:
1. leave em cramped and take what fruit they give in cramped conditions.
2. Pot em up and move them outside.
3. pot em up and hope the wife doesn't notice the board I've screwed to the windowsill to make it deep enough for 10l pots.
4. pot em up and build some kind of temporary cold frame/shelter for them outside.

Hopefully I get the greenhouse built and functioning for next spring!
Anyone have any better ideas - I'm seriously contemplating adding to the windowsill and taking the fallout!

snowdrops

Re: pepper conundrum
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 08:34 »
I would imagine if you pot on to your larger pots & stand them on your wider board on the window ledge you wouldn’t need to fasten it down as their weight would hold it. Paint the board as an insurance measure against the fallout of your better half lol
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 09:04 »
You can grow both in 3L pots if they are compact varieties.  Also pinching out helps as it makes plants shorter and more branched, which leads to more fruit.

For the sake of peace in your household, I would keep some in (without putting hammer and nail to the windowsill) and build a shelter for the rest outside.  Chillies are very productive and cope better with being kept small, so maybe keep them inside.   Peppers are generally larger and would appreciate the bigger pot, so they could go in the frame outside.

The ones in the smaller pots will need more attention to watering and feeding, but so long as you make sure the plant gets what it needs, you can skimp on pot size.  Its more work, but do-able and I have grown some good chilli crops that way, when I have overdone the number of plants I have and have run out of space.  I feed with a general liquid feed until they start flowering and setting fruit, then I switch to tomato food  :)

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 09:47 »
Thanks New Shoot, for reminding me that it isn't all or nothing!  I will keep the 2 habaneros where they are as they look like they will cope best in their current pot.  There's a big sheet of scratched acrylic that has been getting in the way for 12 years, left by the previous house owners.  I reckon I could turn it into some kind of cloche/shelter.  Nice cool day for diy...

xx
Conundrum

Started by billathome65 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 13, 2011, 17:25
by Babstreefern
xx
Coltsfoot conundrum

Started by zither on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 21:49
by Springlands
xx
The Chilli conundrum...

Started by B_and_D on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 14:38
by BabyStar
xx
Compost Conundrum

Started by ytyynycefn on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post January 31, 2007, 19:25
by muntjac

Page created in 0.384 seconds with 39 queries.