A bit overwhelmed!

• 19 Replies

Prue

Re: A bit overwhelmed!
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 14:58 »
I can understand the feeling of being overwhelmed a bit! Been there, done that, still doing it from time to time :D

Take photos from time to time if you can. Then you'll have evidence of what you are doing. It's amazing how things change even in a short time and even if you think you're not doing much!

If you find you can't slow down and enjoy what you're doing, take a fork and go for it. You'll be amazed at how much ground you can turn over if the mood is upon you ;)

Once you've used up some energy, stand back, appreciate what you've accomplished (however much or little) and enjoy. Oh...and don't forget to give yourself a pat on the back too :)

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 16:34 »
Moderation is the key. Time spent on preparation, clearing a bit at a time will be time well spent when you do get round to planting.

I would do an hour or so here and there on the plot initially, easily clearing quite a few several square metres of the worst bit thoroughly in each burst. More often than not, a full "row" on the plot from the top bit down. There was something very satisfying in seeing that cleared patch grow! But the worst thing to do it then to look at the rest of the plot and think it will not get cleared. It will.

And if you plant a few things in the cleared bit, at least you will have something edible to look forward to later as you clear the rest.

Take a picnic, a good book, the radio etc...something to make it less of a drudge. And remind yourself that once it is all cleared, the real fun and enjoyment can begin.
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 20:12 »
Agree with what everyone has posted about pacing yourself.

I got spuds into the ground yesterday, still have to get parsnips in and peas ... they'll catch up.

I think you mentioned tennis elbow, be really careful with that and take enough rest.  If you abuse it now, you'll pay for it in future years  :ohmy:

Definitely get some weed suppressant (fabric or plastic) and that will immediately make you feel more in control  :)

And good luck  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 20:14 »
hey! You have stuff in the ground - you are doing better than I did in my first year!  :) I found the trick was to have a long term plan for how you want the plot to look then give yourself plenty of time to get there (I gave myself 10 years  :))

It is said a lot on this forum - this is a marathon, not a race - very wise words  :)

and enjoy what you achieve - whatever it is!
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

whistler

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 20:54 »
Hi  Massa,

I'm only on my third year and had a heck of a job to do, I agree with everything that the others have said, 'the Rome not being built in a day stufff.'

Just clear a little piece properly at a time, sit back, then plant something that you and yours would like to eat.  Move on slowly,and by the end of the year you will be so proud of what you have achieved.

Get yourself a deckchair, who would we be without dreams?

xx
Overwhelmed with info and still don't know what to do

Started by Windsong on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 21, 2011, 16:54
by TerryB
xx
I'm feeling a bit lost/ intimidated/ overwhelmed

Started by Parsnip on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 08, 2009, 12:48
by Christine

Page created in 0.422 seconds with 37 queries.