3 and a bit days and counting :)

• 58 Replies

alancane

• Experienced Member
Re: 3 and a bit days and counting :)
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 08:29 »
I'm led to believe that you should just sit in the run with the hens for as long as you can spare, occasionally stroking their backs as they wander past, then they'll stop seeing you as a baddie and accept you into their flock??

Carla TODAY IS THE DAY!

I think your husband/partner is going to have trouble getting you back into your house. I hope you have made enough room to put your bed in the coop?
Alan

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 10:16 »
Thinking of you today, hope you got a bit of sleep last nite lol lol,  safe trip to get your girlies.   nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 10:45 »
SOOOOOOO EXCTIEEEEEEDDDDD!!!!!!!   :D :tongue2: :D :D
Ive told everyone I know not to bother me for at least a week, the bloke will be happy because its more playstation time for him (yawn) andif I could get the kids babysat for a long stretch, they'd be outta here  :lol:
Setting off at about half 12, going to take an hour (ish) to get there and then they'll be here, free and happy. My hearts singing at the thought that at this very second, they're being fetched out of that  :mad: farm.
Thanks for all the well wishes folks, there will be photos on before bed tonight and I'm going to have a crack at that blog thing Alan.
Sleep came quite easily courtesy of a bottle of plonk Nicky, thinking maybe it wasnt such a good idea today though  ::)
Laters potatas (black country spuds!) xxxx
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, 11:04 »
 :D :D :D :D :D    xx

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2010, 21:02 »
THEY'RE HERE  :D :D :D :D
I went for 3 and came back with 4 because there was one left over, so she had to come too.
Their characters are coming out already. There's Shell Dockley, Flo, Nelly and Sue. I put them in the run and for the 1st hour they just huddled up a corner, but they soon started pecking about and came to have a nose at us, especially the dog. Flo pecked Maisy right on the nose :)
They're really sorry looking things, but seem happy enough, they've all eaten and drank and had a scratch about, loads of stretching. They're wonderful. Sue has an egg obviously waiting to come out, hoping she's not egg bound....maybe just needs some peace and quiet to lay.
Here's the photos :)
100822_151207.jpg
100822_165238.jpg
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 21:37 by Carla »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2010, 21:35 »
Oh bless, it won't take them long to get red combs that aren't floppy and some lovely new feathers  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2010, 21:40 »
Ahhhh, so cute and how wonderful that they will have a great home and a home that loves and cares for them. I think four is a great number, they always say 'three is a crowd' so four will be double 'two's company!'

The first week is always amazing on how they blossom into their home and surroundings. It's been one week for mine now and they follow me and hear me coming etc.... still hate me trying to pick them up though.

Carla, they are gorgeous and I definately want a day by day account!

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2010, 21:57 »
I was fascinating watching them come out of their shells (hahaha  ::)) Definate personality differences already and they all had a pink fit when they heard a magpie in the garden.
They're a bit wobbly on their legs and are pecking at each other a bit, there's a boss lady already who cained all the food in one sitting. There was a right old ruck from inside the coop when I put them to bed, but they settled after about half an hour.
Cant wait to get up in the morning (words that have NEVER left my mouth before). I'll post as soon as I can drag myself away :) I've even had my 6 month old in his walker sat watching them too. My sister and her kids, the neighbours over the fence, all just gazing at them for hours. Totally brilliant.
Just hope that eggs come out by tomorrow  :unsure:
100822_165157.jpg
100822_151150.jpg

evie2

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2010, 22:06 »
Bless them, they'll soon be looking beautiful with all the love and care they'll be getting :D  Your right Carla, you can't leave one behind :D  Remember lots of photos please:D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2010, 10:17 »
Arh congratulations on your ladies, they are absoutley gorgeous, 4 is a very good number they are lovely.   Was it a big rescue, were many ladies rehomed.  nickyx

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2010, 10:32 »
It was only a small rescue Nicky, 500 I think, all had got homes though (except Sue, who's now with me).
Flo laid an egg on the grass about 10 minutes ago, I watched her do it. I nearly wet myself with excitement  :lol: :lol:

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 11:08 »
arh bless, its amazing after all they go through they can still lay an egg, thats brillant,  now she will have to learn where the nest boxes are,   you can buy those dummy eggs, try putting one or two in the nest boxes.  nickyx

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2010, 11:12 »
I've put dummy eggs in, and one of the girls was sat in the nest box rosey away, but came back out and laid on the grass, bless. I'm sure they'll get the idea eventually.
Got 3 eggs now :) Only one that hasnt laid is the poorly one, not holding out much hope for her, on closer inspection, she's really thin too. Phoned 5 local vets, none of them cater for poultry so I'm off over Birmingham tomorrow. Joy!!

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2010, 11:17 »
I've put dummy eggs in, and one of the girls was sat in the nest box rosey away, but came back out and laid on the grass, bless. I'm sure they'll get the idea eventually.
Got 3 eggs now :) Only one that hasnt laid is the poorly one, not holding out much hope for her, on closer inspection, she's really thin too. Phoned 5 local vets, none of them cater for poultry so I'm off over Birmingham tomorrow. Joy!!

One of my girls was egg bound and i popped her in a bucket or you can use a sink of warm water, its supposed to sooth them and help them pass it,  you could try that,  it worked for my girl.   nickyx

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 11:31 »
forgot to add, make sure if you are gonna do it that the water is well past her vent area when you pop her in.  nickyx

xx
21 days

Started by scabs on Chicken Chat

55 Replies
Last post June 17, 2010, 18:36
by scabs
xx
Just had an interesting few days!

Started by GrannieAnnie on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post March 07, 2011, 16:49
by alancane
xx
22 to 23 days time

Started by Nails on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post June 06, 2010, 11:58
by Nails
xx
Two eggs in two days!

Started by Gemjt on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post April 24, 2011, 07:04
by uba

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 39 queries.