Clear new allotment

• 12 Replies

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
Clear new allotment
« on: June 03, 2018, 12:36 »
whats the best weedkiller to clear a new overgrown allotment i have taken over....appreciate your feedback

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
Re: Clear new allotment
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 13:34 »
Glysopolate..excuse spelling..round up is a commercial variety but you can get stuff to mix up.
Apply to the leaves in growth like now, before cutting them down

Pescador

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 15:34 »
Glyphosate would be the one. Leave for 2 weeks after application before cutting back / burning / digging in.
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 17:18 »
thanks for the feedback

arh

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 18:17 »
I wouldn't worry about weeks, 2 or 3 etc. just wait till it's really dead, (colour of straw), some weeds take longer than others.

Debz

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 10:13 »
Be sure you are allowed to use weedkiller on your plot though.  Our site has a weedkiller ban.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 11:15 »
John's advice is
Quick Way to Clear a Plot
This is the easiest and quickest way to clear a plot. Clear the rubbish and strim down to a few inches above ground level. Rake up the strimmings and pop onto the compost heap.
Then spray the plot with a glyphosate based weedkiller, paying special attention to the perennial weeds. Leave for a week or two, re-spraying any perennial weeds that are still looking healthy. Then dig over or rotovate.
The weedkiller is taken to the roots of the perennials so killing them and making it possible to chop them up without the problem of re-growing.

OK, this method uses a weedkiller but given the number of people who start with the best organic intentions and then give in when they discover it’s hard work, I’d say use the spray and go organic later!
Clearing a New Allotment or Vegetable Plot

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 13:05 »
No restrictions on using weedkiller on our allotment. Thanks for your feedback...now have a plan to move this forward.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 22:27 »
I took on a 'new ' plot about a month ago and I am clearing it a bit at a time using a mattock and fork. It is quite daunting , but by doing a ' little and often ' I can see progress which is rewarding.  The soil is better than I expected but will be getting a treat in the autumn.

I have never used a rotovator ( if you have couch grass , the cut up roots simply re grow )  or weed killer. The only tools I use on a regular basis are Fork , Hoe , Rake , Shears and Secateurs and a wheel barrow.

Good luck , how big is your plot?
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 22:09 »
plot is 25 feet by 30 feet

TREGRAHOW

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 19:27 »
Worried about using glyphosate?  There are many videos on YouTube on mixing solutions of salt with some washing-up liquid to help the solution stick to the weeds. Whether it works or not I don't know yet. I sprayed some weeds in my garden this afternoon and I'll wait a few days to see what - if anything - happens. Some concoctions include white vinegar.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2018, 23:56 »
I took on a 'new ' plot about a month ago and I am clearing it a bit at a time using a mattock and fork. It is quite daunting , but by doing a ' little and often ' I can see progress which is rewarding.  The soil is better than I expected but will be getting a treat in the autumn.

I have never used a rotovator ( if you have couch grass , the cut up roots simply re grow )  or weed killer. The only tools I use on a regular basis are Fork , Hoe , Rake , Shears and Secateurs and a wheel barrow.

Good luck , how big is your plot?

Yep, exactly the same here. I'm going for organic but I totally respect peoples choice to go the weedkiller spray route, it's up to them. Hope you get the results you want JB!

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 13:08 »
not worried about using glyco... i plan on using it,clear the plot then put down cardboard and then top upt with manure and then compost and keep covered till autumn....council have given it free till November due to the state of the plot...thanks for the comments

xx
Apple drop. To clear or not to clear?

Started by LottyLouis on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 24, 2015, 21:03
by Growster...
xx
Bug Clear...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post September 29, 2013, 21:27
by Growster...
xx
Best way to clear ivy?

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 04, 2013, 20:11
by RJR_38
xx
How’s your clear up coming on?

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post November 09, 2023, 16:53
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 53 queries.