Giant insect cage?

• 7 Replies

Browseruk

Giant insect cage?
« on: March 07, 2023, 15:02 »
Thinking of building this:
See attached image. (I cannot work out how to add them in line?)

It uses 50m x 25mm pipe for £46.43 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0987NHXG7/

a 6m x 10m netting for £50.64 delivered https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0987NHXG7/

and a 6m x 12mm rebar (£31)  cut into 12 0.5m lengths driven halfway into the ground;

and a bunch of cable ties.

Worth the investment? Can it be improved? Or done cheaper? (Other comments and advice?)

I'll add a door at one end later. I'll not fix the net to the last two hoops at the bean frame end so I can uncover the bean frame when they need polinators.

bug cage.png

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Giant insect cage?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 17:53 »
The mesh looks OK. It will need to be wide enough to be properly pinned down at the sides.

Despite the rebar, which I assume will go into the ground as an anchor and have the pipe hoops put over it, you may still find that the structure will benefit from strengthening bars between the hoops.

Which insects are you planning to guard against? If you plan to open one end for pollination of some plants at certain points of the year, there is a high risk that the insects will simply fly in at that point.

It is more common to protect a class of plants, which all need the same growing and/or pollinating conditions, rather than aim to permanently protect a wide range of plants that will clash in requirements.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Browseruk

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 18:23 »
Which insects are you planning to guard against?
Everything! :) CWB and anything else that might do damage.

Also pidgeons, etc. And muntjac deer, rabbits, foxes all of which are regular vistors.

If you plan to open one end for pollination of some plants at certain points of the year, there is a high risk that the insects will simply fly in at that point.

The idea is not to leave it open, but rather pull it back over the first two hoops to close off the rest for the (short?) pollination period.

Not fully thought through because it just dawned on  me that the runners and courgettes aren't the only crops that need pollination...more thought needed.

It is more common to protect a class of plants, which all need the same growing and/or pollinating conditions, rather than aim to permanently protect a wide range of plants that will clash in requirements.

I looked at making a series of small cages around each of the double rows, but it uses :
  • 3x more pipe
  • 2x more netting,
  • uses up all the access spaces unless you make the sides vertical
  • has to moved every year for rotation
  • has to be lifted up for weeding or harvesting (giving access to the bugs)

This just seems easier, cheaper and pretty permenant.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 03:15 by Browseruk »

Browseruk

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 20:06 »
Despite the rebar, which I assume will go into the ground as an anchor and have the pipe hoops put over it, you may still find that the structure will benefit from strengthening bars between the hoops.

I've had thoughts about that ; but will wait and see if it is required.

One notion is that I'll use 6mm poly rope and a couple of 3m fence posts I already have to brace the ridge line as shown below.

Of course that conflicts with other goals...
bug cage.png

Browseruk

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2023, 05:41 »
Not fully thought through because it just dawned on  me that the runners and courgettes aren't the only crops that need pollination...more thought needed.

Seems I may not need to open the cage as everything I intend to grow (thuis year at least) except the courgettes, is self-pollinating and can be helped long with judicious use of a cotton bud.

Maybe I'll move the courgettes out of the cage and grown them in bags or pots.

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2023, 07:36 »
why not cage 3/4 leave 1/4 open then move cage next year maybe take net down over winter
from bow like to grow

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2023, 10:42 »
… maybe take net down over winter

Snow can be a problem if the frame/net is not strong or secure enough to hold the weight.

Browseruk

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2023, 08:32 »
maybe take net down over winter

I am hoping to leave it up to protect over wintering crops from the pidgeons. I switched from the white netting to green 40% debris netting as this seems to have a better lifespan.

I've ordered all my materials should be here any day now.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 14:57 by Browseruk »

moved
MOVED: Insect Mesh?

Started by Yorkie on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

0 Replies
Last post April 12, 2022, 16:47
by Yorkie
xx
fruit cage v polytunnel

Started by hermon on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post January 29, 2014, 12:25
by hermon

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 47 queries.