Free and Wild Food

• 187 Replies

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
Re: Free and Wild Food
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2011, 18:52 »
Blackberry and elderberry gathering today.. blackberries for the freezer, elderberries bottled as a syrup/cordial.  Checked on the sloes last week and they're swelling nicely.. must resist a little longer to let them frost.
read somewere u dont need wait for frost for sloes jst freeze them it as same effect,dont know if its right?

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2011, 19:21 »
Blackberry and elderberry gathering today.. blackberries for the freezer, elderberries bottled as a syrup/cordial.  Checked on the sloes last week and they're swelling nicely.. must resist a little longer to let them frost.
read somewere u dont need wait for frost for sloes jst freeze them it as same effect,dont know if its right?
no wait for the frost to hit then they have had there full season growing and will be sweeter for it

sion01

« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2011, 20:01 »
Hazelnuts are getting to the size where their edible around here .Their far from mature but are nice,sweet and milky at this stage.Around here if you leave them to mature the squirrels eat them all so it's the only chance I get to taste them

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2011, 22:06 »
Hazelnuts are getting to the size where their edible around here .Their far from mature but are nice,sweet and milky at this stage.Around here if you leave them to mature the squirrels eat them all so it's the only chance I get to taste them

Hah - managed to beat the squirrels this year - whacked the tree with a broom to "encourage" them to drop. Got pounds of them, but they're not as big this year as some years - any ideas what I can do with them - was hoping to utilise them into gifts at Christmas.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2011, 22:25 »
You could make hazelnut marzipan  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

sion01

« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2011, 09:38 »

Hah - managed to beat the squirrels this year - whacked the tree with a broom to "encourage" them to drop. Got pounds of them, but they're not as big this year as some years - any ideas what I can do with them - was hoping to utilise them into gifts at Christmas.

That's fantastic.I'm a bit jealouse as it's been about 20 years since I've had more then a handfull of hazelnuts so recipes have been something I've had no use for unfortunatly What about musili or granola

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2011, 16:00 »
Just curious really... Loads of wild fungi grow here and, as previously discussed, I'm far too wary to try and ID any myself so I don't pick them. I came across this yesterday, after some hours of heavy rain the previous day. I wondered what it is and is it that colour through being rain saturated?

Any ideas?

:)
Photo0205-2.jpg
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

sarajane

« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2011, 16:39 »
Just returned from a walk in our local forest, delamere, and picked up 6 1/2 lb of chestnuts.  A far better size than last year.  I'll spend the week boiling them for 3 mins and then peeling and putting in the freezer.  The whole ones will be roasted for ten minutes with the spuds at Christmas and the broken bits put into the stuffing.

Quite time consuming job but they will be lovely  -  and free so get yourselves out there folks before the squirrels get em all  ;)

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2011, 16:58 »
Love Delamere! :D OH is from near there. :)

sarajane

« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2011, 19:19 »
Wow  -  small world they say.  We're just about 7 miles from delamere and have been going there since I was a nipper,  Probably nearly 50 years.  It was a free day out and Dad was lucky to have a car so we used to end up taking half of the street with us.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2011, 20:24 »
We go there too, with the dogs. But we have a local supply in our village, courtesy of our local estate. Will have to wander down and see.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2011, 23:18 »
Went for a walk on the lovely North Yorkshire Moors today and was amazed that there were still a few blueberries left.  Not enough to take home but a tasty snack which was a bonus.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

sion01

« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2012, 18:34 »
Alexander's are getting harvestable here now.Sorrel is really obviouse in the hedges as it's almost the only green thing.Little tender nettle shoot's are also pushing up,full of iron.Just what you'r body needs after a long dark/cold/wet/miserable winter.Cornsalad and hairybitter cress is also really obviouse now.

Shake off those winter cobwebs forager's and get out there

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2012, 18:39 »
Well done sion! Its good to know things are growing again. :D

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2012, 18:16 »
Anybody picking or foraging in February? :)

xx
free food!!

Started by agapanthus on Frugal Living

16 Replies
Last post September 15, 2009, 23:28
by agapanthus
xx
Free food!

Started by beki on Frugal Living

17 Replies
Last post March 05, 2009, 20:20
by Paul Plots
xx
BTCV free food guide

Started by Yorkie on Frugal Living

7 Replies
Last post July 20, 2010, 11:23
by scabs
xx
Free 14 day trial of Garden Advice Club (+ 2 FREE GARDENING BOOKS)

Started by commerlad on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post May 17, 2010, 08:55
by commerlad

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 54 queries.